The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 07:51 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Re: Bendbacks

Click the image to open in full size.
first attempt at harveys bendback
Old 01-13-2012, 08:38 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Never heard of a bendback until I read this thread, but I thought it looked like something that just may be useful.

Tried tying a couple tonight.

Some leadfree wire for wieght, some pearl estaz for the body, and some white over red deer hair for the "wing", with a red thread head & mono eyes.

Hopefully the crappie & bass will appreciate my efforts.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:51 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

not a bad looking bendback im going to tie them on worm hooks
Old 01-14-2012, 06:41 AM

kibby is on a distinguished road

ARGH! Why do you guys do this to me? I'll just HAVE to get back into flytying again now!

Old 01-14-2012, 08:23 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
not a bad looking bendback im going to tie them on worm hooks
Grass, there's a lot you can do with worm hooks. You can use broad feathers an either side to create huge profiles with very little weight. Someone posted a link for a guide in the Carolina's I believe who ties killer patterns on worm hooks. I'll try to find it for you.

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------

Can't find the link but I pulled this off a Striped Bass forum.
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 01-14-2012, 12:14 PM

spug is on a distinguished road

Here's another one I tie a bunch. It's Mel Simpson's Bendy. He showed me this technique with Schlappen for the body. Flows amazing in the water. I fish it really slow and just let it breath. It stays fairly weedless.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:14 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

swirlchaser, don't know if this is the guy you're referring to or not, but he ties some awesome flies on worm hooks. He's in VA, near Virginia Beach.

Tying Saltwater Flies for the Chesapeake Bay of Virginia

Owner made a worm hook they called a Long Neck. It's been discontinued, but when you can find them, they're excellent for bendback style flies, particularly bass flies. They have a small plastic cone on the hook shank that is made to slide up under the plastic bait to help keep it in place. For fly tying is can be easily removed, or it can be utilized to help prop up your materials. I've tried it both ways & some materials can use a little help.

VMC makes an offset worm hook, model # 6319 with a long front section that is well suited to tying flies. I've been tying on worm hooks for many years, and when I discovered the VMC hook, put Chris Newsome on to them. Chris is the guy in the link.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-14-2012, 01:38 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
swirlchaser, don't know if this is the guy you're referring to or not, but he ties some awesome flies on worm hooks. He's in VA, near Virginia Beach.

Tying Saltwater Flies for the Chesapeake Bay of Virginia

Owner made a worm hook they called a Long Neck. It's been discontinued, but when you can find them, they're excellent for bendback style flies, particularly bass flies. They have a small plastic cone on the hook shank that is made to slide up under the plastic bait to help keep it in place. For fly tying is can be easily removed, or it can be utilized to help prop up your materials. I've tried it both ways & some materials can use a little help.

VMC makes an offset worm hook, model # 6319 with a long front section that is well suited to tying flies. I've been tying on worm hooks for many years, and when I discovered the VMC hook, put Chris Newsome on to them. Chris is the guy in the link.

That's him. Thanks BigJim, Virginia is fairly close to the Carolinas. Was it you that posted it the first time?
Old 01-14-2012, 02:56 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Possibly, I've posted a link to his site a few times, or mentioned him in other posts. I met Chris a couple of years ago. There's an event here in MD each winter called Tiefest. Some of the local guys started it & it's been going strong for several years, and seems to grow each year. It's a free event with many talented tiers, some vendors, and even some casting demonstrations. Lefty Kreh has done some casting demo's a few times!

Chris was tying & demonstrating some of his skills, and I spent some time watching & talking to him. Very talented fellow!

It looks like Tiefest will be on Feb. 25 this year.
TieFest 2012

Great event if you have the time to get there!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-15-2012, 01:51 PM

just bought worm hooks today i will post pictures tonight of the results