The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 05:44 PM

spug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bendbacks

Playing around with a little noise. Gonna try it out tonight.

Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

Keep 'em coming. I love me some bendbacks!
Old 01-15-2012, 08:12 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice
Smile Re: Bendbacks

One of the many places where I've used bendbacks over the years was on the basalt shelves of a NW lake to catch Carp. The usual flies were snagging on the rough edged basalt but the bendback works like a charm. I tied it in the usual grizzly hackled wooley worm style but with a bendback design and not one hook guard of orange deer hair but two, each off to the side slightly, tipped/colored with bright blue magic marker, like two little crawdad claws raised in defense. It worked so well that on thsoe lakes it's about all I use for tailing carp. The biggest mistake those starting with tying bendbacks make is bending too much thereby weakening the hook. Those white and red crappie flies above are just about perfect as far as a slight bend. Funny this subject was on top today because I just watched Lefty today talking about how useful the bendback is when fishing around and through mangrove roots.

Great looking fly Spug! I tied a few with the little glass capsules with beads inside but like your idea better.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 01-18-2012, 08:35 AM

spug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bendbacks

Thanks Chuck. I threw it last night for about thirty minutes and it seemed like it will do fine. I only lost one rattle. I'm pretty sure it flew off when I hit the rocks next to me on a backcast!