The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 11:14 AM

pikeflyguy2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Go-to smallmouth flies

I agree with most of the patterns, but my "go-to" fly in both lakes and rivers, is a deerhair popper: r/w, r/yel, blk/yel, and natural. I tie it, usually on #2 - 4, somewhat like a diver, but with a bigger collar. The plus is that the fish don't reject it as quickly. The con is that they sometime take it too deep. Another great (although seemingly unlikely) top-water pattern is the "Madame X" dry fly, in #4 or #6. I find smallies will often come to the top, even if holding in 5 - 6' of water, and nothing is more exciting.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:42 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I mentioned the is in another thread recently, but the Clouser crippled minnow is just about my favorite smallmouth fly.
It may look like a Dahlberg Diver but it's fished dead drift on the surface with an occasional twitch so as to appear as a dying bait.
Floating on the head and collar, with the marabou tail fluttering below

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:49 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

pikeflyguy2, good post! I also like deerhair bugs, and have a box full of them, but really don't use them enough. The only exception is Dahlberg Divers, I use them.

I got away from the bugs because they'll waterlog after awhile, and other materials just float longer without adding floatant. You're right though, they will hold on to them.

Quote:
Another great (although seemingly unlikely) top-water pattern is the "Madame X" dry fly, in #4 or #6.
I've found that most of the big western style dry flies work well on Smallmouths. They're not usually very particular, and agree that anything on top is more fun than below.

But again, I prefer the patterns tied with foam, primarily because they float longer without floatant, something I don't usually carry with me because I don't fish with standard dry flies much at all.

I recall seeing a Madam X version that is tied with a foam body, so would certainly use it! I've got some big western Salmonfly (adult Stonefly) dry flies in my Smallmouth boxes, but really don't even know what the pattern is called. They have a foam body, a cut foam material wing, rubber legs, hackle & some deer or elk hair in the wing. I bought a few to copy, because they looked like they would work well as Smallmouth flies!

I also like some of the big flies that the Steelhead & Salmon guys use. Intruders & MOAL type flies in particular. Smallmouths will eat them as readily as "standard" Bass flies, sometimes even better because in the places I fish, I doubt they see such flies. (No Steelhead or Salmon in MD streams!)

I expect that would be the case in many other Smallmouth streams around the country as well.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-16-2012, 02:36 PM

trouthound13 is on a distinguished road

Try the Bronze Goddess that was in the Fall Fly Tyer for subsurface. Been fishing that fly for 5 years for smallies( and everything else) all over the midwest. Easy to make and I have literally caught thousands of fish with it.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Black Marabou Leech, Clouser Minnow, Funny Bunny Emerald Shiner.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:59 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Dan, I absolutly LOVE those fire tiger clousers you tie!! I need to make me some of them, or trade you for some

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! Pike really like the Fire Tiger ones too. I've noticed that Smallies also seem to like the clousers with hot pink in them.

I do a glow in the dark version I get Walleyes on to.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:47 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

A lot of great advice in this thread! I appreciate all the insight everyone has added so far. I'll give as many of these flies a try as I possibly can next year. Unfortunately, I have about 5 months until I'll be able to give these patterns a decent try on the water.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:21 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
A lot of great advice in this thread! I appreciate all the insight everyone has added so far. I'll give as many of these flies a try as I possibly can next year. Unfortunately, I have about 5 months until I'll be able to give these patterns a decent try on the water.
Same boat im in, I need to start tying now. I need to tye some Near Nuff Crayfish, those seem to work well. I had a big smallie last year on a Big nasty which is a stonefly/crawdad/dead thing looking fly.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-18-2012, 01:00 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

Rust brown woolly buggers for me. Black also works well for me too.