The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 01:33 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Go-to smallmouth flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
Same boat im in, I need to start tying now. I need to tye some Near Nuff Crayfish, those seem to work well. I had a big smallie last year on a Big nasty which is a stonefly/crawdad/dead thing looking fly.
If the question had been top 4 flies, I would have added my Crayfish. Actually Crayfish hammer the Smallies. If I know right where they are setting it may actually be the best fly. The only advantage my top 3 pick has over the Crayfish is tha bility to realistically cover water. If you expanded the list to 5, I'd toss in small poppers to.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:22 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Dan, happen to have a recipe for that fly? Definitely an awesome looking fly, and I am sure it will slaughter fish.

I'd thought about making it top 5, but just stuck with the 3. In retrospect, I probably should have, because many of the top 3's are flies I already fish in warm-water situations. That's just how it goes though!
Old 01-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
Dan, happen to have a recipe for that fly? Definitely an awesome looking fly, and I am sure it will slaughter fish.

The recipe is in the pattern section on the forum. It does clobber fish. The first time I tried it I got something like 5 Smallies in the the first 5 casts. I had a little line clipper Pike in there somewhere to. My reaction was basically " Oh yah, I'm tying more of these!" Here is a link;
Dan's Crayfish
Old 01-18-2012, 09:22 PM

jk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nice

Looks like that fly would slay my Green Bay carp to Dan, gonna give that one a shot.

As for smallmouth, I usually keep it simple with buggers, poppers, clousers and maybe a big prince nymph every once and a while. Dont make it harder than it has to be I say.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:20 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

I'm not necessarily trying to make it harder. In fact, merely learning some extra patterns should only make it easier in my opinion. The more patterns I have to try, the more chance I'll have of finding fish. That's the same way I approach other species. I'll change patterns as many times as need be, until I find what they are keying in on. I just like to have a few extra tools in the box. Plus, it's winter and I need some new stuff to tie up.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:14 AM

schiff has a spectacular aura aboutschiff has a spectacular aura about

One of my favorites is the Clouser Swimming Nymph. I use it on SM and Trout. They both like this fly, so you get a two for one tie every time you make one. My favorite SM fly is a Clouser Floating Minnow. I put a bit of lead wrap on the hook to have the fly set just below the surface. This works if they are top feeding since they are so close to the surface and on days they are a bit shy and not coming to the surface, they still take this fly about 4 inches below the top. You get to see the take too, so it adds to the enjoyment.
I like poppers and hair bugs, but I have never had a fish on a Sneaky Pete.
Don't know why...maybe have no confidence in them and never give them a fair amount of water time. Everyone likes to use them...come to think of it, I don't think I even have one in my box anymore.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:17 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

New Page 2

New Page 2

http://www.day5flies.com/creep.htm

Love those three patterns that my Friend Matt ties, I also use a lot of Boogle Bugs, Bart-O Minnow's, Clousers and various Sculpin patterns...
Old 01-19-2012, 03:47 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

For Delaware and Susquehanna river smallies yellow poppers , yellow deer hair bugs , yellow streamers and yellow clousers. If that doesn't do the trick use something yellow.
For the Wallkill River black poppers , black divers and black marabou leeches. Bet you thought I was gonna say yellow!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-04-2012, 11:31 AM

rapid eddy has a spectacular aura aboutrapid eddy has a spectacular aura about

Dan, what can i say. You amaze me with your ability at the bench. That stuff you tie isn't for fishing. Those are presentation stuff if ya ask me. As a matter of fact if you'll tie up a dozen of your favorite individual bass stuff i'd like to purchase em from ya for examples to display above my bench. That Crawfish and hair bug are killer. Name your price and contact me. I do love art.
Eddy
Old 03-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid eddy View Post
Dan, what can i say. You amaze me with your ability at the bench. That stuff you tie isn't for fishing. Those are presentation stuff if ya ask me. As a matter of fact if you'll tie up a dozen of your favorite individual bass stuff i'd like to purchase em from ya for examples to display above my bench. That Crawfish and hair bug are killer. Name your price and contact me. I do love art.
Eddy
Thanks Eddy. They are just for fishing though. I have tied about a ton of 'em. Once you have enough of them that have needed to be replaced for being hung up, chewed up or stuck in a tree , you get fairly good at tying them. If you would like I can give you all the tips that make mine come out like that. Short cut you to the point I'm at.