The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2007, 07:18 PM

Ronmc1954 is on a distinguished road
Default Trout in a near by lake.

I have been thinking about a small lake close to me here in NE Nebaraska. They stock it with trout quite often, I believe mainly for ice fishing in the winter. I never hear about fly fishing for them, if I were to try what should I use in mid summer. Toward one end there is what appears to be quite a lot of fresh cool spring water feeding this small lake. I am rather new to fly fishing and this lake is the only water that has trout, close by. I have had a great time with Bass and Bluegill, but I have never caught a trout on any type of tackle. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Ron Mc
Old 08-01-2007, 08:07 PM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Trout in a near by lake.

Hi Ron.... You can cover a lot of water with sometype of floating device, with oars, and drag clear sinking line with a wooly bugger for starters. I use a square ended canoe with oar locks and a 2hp motor.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:33 PM

Ronmc1954 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Oregon, I would be using a kayak to get around. If I understand your responce I should go "deep" for these trout.
Ron Mc
Old 08-02-2007, 12:37 AM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronmc1954 View Post
Thanks Oregon, I would be using a kayak to get around. If I understand your responce I should go "deep" for these trout.
Ron Mc
Ron... I think it depends on the time of year and the temperature of the water, but I think you need to get down to the cooler water in the summer for trout. Water near the stream that enters the lake may be cooler and the fish may be closer to the surface. I fish Klammath Lake sometimes which is a very large but shallow local lake in which cool water pops out of the lake in springs and that is where the fish are and you don't have to go down too deep around the springs. You just need to know where the springs are . I have caught a lot of fish trolling with leaded line and "pots and pans", flashers, at another local lake, Lost Creek Lake, with my kids, so no question in the lower elevation lakes trout run deep in the summer, but again the fishing is better wear the river enters the lake, in this case where the Rogue River enters Lost Creek.