The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 12:47 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cold Weather + New gear = bummer for me

Well, fortunately I've been able to fish a bit still.
But the $$$ is burning a hole in my pocket!

PS. out of my range, but I love the look of that Sage bass rod, classy.

Nothing extra special, but new and very nice for me and my student tax-bracket: Photo to come, it is pretttttttty.
Ross essence FC 11wt
Orvis Battenkill V
300yd of gel-spun backing
11wt Rio 'mainstream' saltwater Floating line.

I took it to the park for some practice casting last evening with a tape measure and actually threw down some 80' bombs
I had no idea how far I could actually cast until last night, needless to say I was pretty darn happy with casting an 11wt that far. The line just sails!

I also picked up a 24' sink tip line for my 5wt setup (all the indicator talk has gotten me trying to be more classy with my nymphing, I learned that way, so perhaps I should go back?). I put the new line on a new spare spool for my Lamson Konic. Ready to go for ice off at the local reservoirs or bigger rivers.

The only new thing really getting any use is my new Peak rotary vise. I've been making shad, buggers, and some midges lately.

AND, before I run myself out of student loan money, I kind of want to find a decent 3wt for next summer. Last year of school, then the 'Atonement' begins. I figure I might as well get set up thoroughly before I have to make monthly payments on loans

Last edited by tbblom; 01-27-2012 at 12:48 PM. Reason: mo stuff
Old 01-27-2012, 01:40 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cold Weather + New gear = bummer for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
Well, fortunately I've been able to fish a bit still.
But the $$$ is burning a hole in my pocket!

PS. out of my range, but I love the look of that Sage bass rod, classy.

AND, before I run myself out of student loan money, I kind of want to find a decent 3wt for next summer. Last year of school, then the 'Atonement' begins. I figure I might as well get set up thoroughly before I have to make monthly payments on loans
Sounds like you've got quiet a bit to do haha.

This is a Sage Bass I rod, they now have a Bass II out, which allowed me to pick this rod up for less then halfof the retail price so YEAH!!! Granted it is missing its line which I have to buy , x-mas and soon to have Bday gift cards will cover most of it.

if you want a nice 3wt, get a St Crois Avid. I have the Legend version and was able to cast the avid a few times, its such a sweet rod and it has a nice price tag, they are just over 200 bucks.

Storm Drain Bonefisher