The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 10:03 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Cold Weather + New gear = bummer for me

So its winter, and its coldish. not cold enough to freee the creeks I fish , but cold enough to turn them off. Then on top of that, all this new gear keeps showing up and these new patterns keep falling out of my vice!! Bah, I need spring or a move to FL to happen sooner. Anyway, im excited about my new stuff so here's a picture.

Click the image to open in full size.

Sage Bass Rod, 230grn bluegill version with an Allen Fly Fishing Trout 5/7 in RED!! Im really diggin the colors on this setup, with the olive colored line going on it, its gonna be real trippy looking!!

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-26-2012, 10:14 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Cold Weather + New gear = bummer for me

nice looking setup you have there, the red reel does look good

ARFE
Old 01-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I emphasize with your situation Geo, I have a new 15' 10/11 rod and a shiny new 875 grain Mid Spey line sitting here waiting for a trip to the big river. The temperatures here are not be good for anything but snowshoeing or X country skiing right now. With another 80 days before the mercury settles above 32 for a while I have time to get another reel No matter how long or cold the winter I won't even entertain the idea of leaving this place. You wait, and you wait, but when it starts it is fishing to the tenth power from mid May until the first week of November.

It was an adjustment, I came from a spring creek environment where I could do what I do year round. This is a sort of sacrifice in regard to the past life but I've adapted and am just getting ready for another push.

By the way, nice rig there

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-26-2012, 10:32 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I emphasize with your situation Geo, I have a new 15' 10/11 rod and a shiny new 875 grain Mid Spey line sitting here waiting for a trip to the big river. The temperatures here are not be good for anything but snowshoeing or X country skiing right now. With another 80 days before the mercury settles above 32 for a while I have time to get another reel No matter how long or cold the winter I won't even entertain the idea of leaving this place. You wait, and you wait, but when it starts it is fishing to the tenth power from mid May until the first week of November.

It was an adjustment, I came from a spring creek environment where I could do what I do year round. This is a sort of sacrifice in regard to the past life but I've adapted and am just getting ready for another push.

By the way, nice rig there
I completely feel your pain. I have some springs creeks I can get too in an hour to hour and a half drive with dinky trout, but I want warm water with wet wading and smallmouth so pissed off to eat a fly i cant even stand it!!! Man spring is great, I hope my wife still lets me out now and then with a little one that will be here in May.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-27-2012, 12:30 AM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about

Our waters may not be frozen off here in Texas but don't tell the fish that. Seriously all the fish near me have a very bad case of lock jaw so for now its casting practice while flys just magically fall out of the vice.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:40 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i've got a new allen xa 10' 3 weight and lamson litespeed rig sitting in the corner staring at me
luckily i have other projects going on, but damn do i want to get that sucker wet

casey

ARFE
Old 01-27-2012, 12:42 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I could drive a School Bus out on the river where I fish most of the time. I just got a couple of new rod blanks. So this will help keep me busy till Spring. I got a Thomas and Thomas Spey rod blank and a R L Winston single hand rod blank. When I get those done, the ice had better be off or I'm taking a ride South till it is. I bought a reel from a site member also. A seriously nice Bauer.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:05 AM

jml43 is on a distinguished road

Really great setup. Sorry to hear about not being able to use it. It has been hard fishing here in NC this past month. I actually caught a fish while working on my role cast two days ago. The weather was like 40-50 degrees out. I fish real real slow. Hope the setup works out.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Stl_geoff: I'm with you on the color combo, looks awesome! I'm sure you are going to enjoy that setup once the wx warms up a bit. It's snowing here today and the rivers are all frozen over except the tailwaters, but the closest one is about 2 hrs away so I feel your pain.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml43 View Post
Really great setup. Sorry to hear about not being able to use it. It has been hard fishing here in NC this past month. I actually caught a fish while working on my role cast two days ago. The weather was like 40-50 degrees out. I fish real real slow. Hope the setup works out.
Its been in the 40s here which is great, because its usually like 20 this time of year, but the wind chill is usually 5-10 degrees cooler so that really sucks. I guess the good thing about not being able to go out is I can get the fly boxes stocked up real heavy for when I catch trees. ha.

Storm Drain Bonefisher