The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 01:19 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default PB Pickerel was worth the pain

I headed on to my early season honey hole. This is a tiny pond that only gets fished by a handfull of guys and we're going to keep it that way . With a 34 degree air temp I wasn't expecting much Bass action but I knew the Chain Pickerel would keep my busy until my toes went numb. Landed a handful of average fish on a small, dark Clouser and then it happened. I've never had to put a fish on the reel in this pond until this morning. She faught hard and I wanted to get her back in the water quickly so no weights and measures but this was easily the biggest Pickerel I've caught on the fly

Lil guy
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Avg fish

PB

PB

PB
Old 02-08-2012, 01:24 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: PB Pickerel was worth the pain

That's a cool looking fish! Any guesstimates on the length?
Old 02-08-2012, 01:30 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I layed it against the rod to get an estimate but couldn't get the whole thing in the pic I'm going to say 22-24".
Joni likes this.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:20 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Nice fish!
I definitely need to start targeting more fish than just trout!
grassonfly likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 02-08-2012, 03:28 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

You're going to have a permanent coating of fish slime on that rod now
Old 02-08-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
You're going to have a permanent coating of fish slime on that rod now
Absolutely! It was all over my arm and the rod. I had to dunk it 4-5 times just to hold it again.

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
Nice fish!
I definitely need to start targeting more fish than just trout!
They're fun to catch. They're built for speed and love to run when hooked.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:19 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Great fish Marco! Pickerel are such cool looking fish, I love their patterning.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Great big Chain you got there Marco!

Congratulations, been a while since I've seen one of them.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-08-2012, 09:24 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

Nice fish! Definitely just made my cabin fever worse.

Next month, I'm going to start hitting up the pike!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:57 PM

Thanks guys, I was a little bummed out because my day off was the coldest day of the week but I'm glad I gave it a shot.