The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where is smallie heaven and when should I be there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
No doubt you live in prime smallie country, Dan. I have fished the Vermillion area many times, and the fishing is fantastic. I actually had a chance last year to fish Sturgeon on Rainy, but got stuck working that weekend instead :sadface:. I'm lucky enough to live on the Mississippi though, so I can't complain either.

The Upper Mississippi is another trophy smallmouth destination. If it was me, a road trip to Minnesota for smallmouths would be on my to-do list. Places like Rainy, Vermillion, Mille Lacs, The Upper Mississippi, and even the Zumbro river are all trophy producing systems.
No doubt about it. I think it, as I said, it's an artifact of the Walleye fever mentallity of the people who live in the areas mentioned. It's a really rare day to find some actually targeting Smallmouth where I live. Vermillion and Rainy Lake get a few that do. Rainy Lake it's because they have a big tournament there. To win that one you need full bags every day with an almost 5 pound per fish average. Putting stuff like that out on the radio and in magazines will get you a few tourists. I've had days up here where I lost count of how many fish I had caught when I got up in the 30+ fish zone. They are a blast.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:43 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Where is smallie heaven and when should I be there?

Like Ard said tough to beat the Susquehanna for smallie action . But if you want to wade the Delaware is also a good choice . If your looking for consistent big fish Lake Wentworth in New Hampshire has produced some real slobs for me over the years .
There is one special spot for me that the fish aren't the biggest but the shear amounts of fish and there willingness to take to take a fly is unsurpassed ! That's the Wallkill River in Gardiner N.Y . The scenery is beautiful and catching 50 fish is very doable. Never had a bad outing there and those river smallies are a blast ! Poppers, divers, foam bugs and deer hairs as long as the color is black. ( I should mention the Delaware the color is yellow)
Old 02-10-2012, 01:54 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Like Ard said tough to beat the Susquehanna for smallie action . But if you want to wade the Delaware is also a good choice . If your looking for consistent big fish Lake Wentworth in New Hampshire has produced some real slobs for me over the years .
There is one special spot for me that the fish aren't the biggest but the shear amounts of fish and there willingness to take to take a fly is unsurpassed ! That's the Wallkill River in Gardiner N.Y . The scenery is beautiful and catching 50 fish is very doable. Never had a bad outing there and those river smallies are a blast ! Poppers, divers, foam bugs and deer hairs as long as the color is black. ( I should mention the Delaware the color is yellow)
Hey Boz the Delaware is a big place. I typically fish it right by the Water Gap on the NJ side for Shad. I'm completely new to Smallies, am I close to them, should I be looking for faster/slower water? Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread but you guys got my ears perked up
Old 02-10-2012, 02:20 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Swirlchaser
Your right next to a great smallie spot if your fishing the Gap. If you are near Rt 80 by the toll booths go through town toward Portland. About a 4 miles down on River rd you will see public parking on your right. Park walk across to the river cross the RR tracks and head down river. There's an island that splits the river at this point and plenty of rock structure . This whole area is one big honey hole! Also a good shad spot as is Portland .
There is plenty of other spots nearby PM me when your going and I'll hook you up. Always fishing that area.
John
swirlchaser likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-10-2012, 02:22 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
should I be looking for faster/slower water?
In the same run or pool, rainbows would in the fast water at the head, browns in the middle of the 'tongue', smallmouth just where the water begins to slow. Almost exactly where the surface chop ends
Old 02-10-2012, 05:00 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Mike, the Potomac River has some decent Smallmouth fishing. Some sections are better than others, but generally above Great Falls.

I see you're in Ca. A bit closer to you, I've read that the Umpqua River in Oregon has some great Smallmouth fishing too!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 02-10-2012, 07:35 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

How about prime time? I'm assuming generally starting mid to late May and going thru early fall, depending on weather and water flows??

uh....it's 2,100 miles to International Falls from here.

I've always heard that the smallies were great in Arkansas, so reading that Missouri is "the place" is great news.

Thanks to everyone...somebody apologized for hijacking, but I didn't see anything off topic...no worries.

-Mike
Old 02-10-2012, 07:58 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

True Story! My cousin used to run a huge pig farm/operation down near Springfield, Mo and for years thought he was in the center of Smallmouth and Largemouth heaven but then the fishing got poor or so he and his boss thought. They headed north on his Bosses private plane heading for the Boundary Waters from the Quebec side. Crossing through customs at Int. Falls, they ran into a Canadian Angler party coming from Quebec headed down to Truman Lake, Pomme de Terre, etc as thy'd heard from a very reliable source that these fisheries were the best in North America! Have't you heard, "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence!"

I have several hot spots but near the top of that list is the John Day running through Oregon and one of the great float trips you can find here and there in the US. Here's a teaser and note the author, noted Photographer and writer Brian O'Keefe. Fishing - John Day Smallmouth Tellin it like it is!
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 02-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
uh....it's 2,100 miles to International Falls from here.

-Mike
It's not that bad if you drive fast. Up here it starts the first week of May give or take a day or two. I'm pretty far North so I assume it would be earlier farther South. Oh and one more thing, It's 2100 miles to International Falls, then take a left and follow the border for about another 90 miles to my house. There's Smallies for the whole 90 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
Places like Rainy, Vermillion, Mille Lacs, The Upper Mississippi, and even the Zumbro river are all trophy producing systems.
Actually, there is a darn good chance that Mille Lacs will produce the next state record. There are some serious bruisers swimming around in there.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:01 PM

spencerhicks is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to spencerhicks

Huron river outside of Ann Arbor, Mich. My favorite smallie stream, great to float in the summer when its nice and warm, though I have yet to fish the hex there.