The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where is smallie heaven and when should I be there?

Actually, Smallmouth will come up from a long way down and hit noisy poppers in clear water. I wouldn't adverse to trying it in Dale Hollow either.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:22 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a bit surprised no one mentioned the Boundary Waters/Quetico area east of Frostbite Falls, MN. A nice weeklong canoe trip through that area would be high on my list, as long as the portages were short and the skeeters were few. September mebbe? Otherwise, Lower Colorado River in about two weeks. milt.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:32 PM

floorabove is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Swirlchaser
Your right next to a great smallie spot if your fishing the Gap. If you are near Rt 80 by the toll booths go through town toward Portland. About a 4 miles down on River rd you will see public parking on your right. Park walk across to the river cross the RR tracks and head down river. There's an island that splits the river at this point and plenty of rock structure . This whole area is one big honey hole! Also a good shad spot as is Portland .
There is plenty of other spots nearby PM me when your going and I'll hook you up. Always fishing that area.
John
I'm up in that area a few times a year, maybe I'll try and get a few smallies next time. Thanx
Old 02-21-2012, 08:24 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Great spot you won't regret it.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:57 PM

joshw is on a distinguished road

BWCA on the Minnesota/Ontario border. You should be there roughly the third week of June for postspawn topwater fishing .
milt spawn likes this.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:25 PM

swhite1989 is on a distinguished road

If you ever find yourself in Southwest Virginia try the New River, this is my native river, and its been in a couple magazines for the Small Mouths it produces. It also has a fair amount of Large Mouth, and Strippers in certain areas. I have even seen pictures of people pulling out Sankehead. So be ready for anything.

Its good all summer really, but real good times are the obvious spawn dates, as well as mid to late fall.

Its a long way to go for you, but just chiming in with a tid bit of info.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:11 PM

trout sniper is on a distinguished road

The Black River in the white mountains of Arizona. oh no, wait, the Wallow fire ruined that. I guess the Black River will be living up to its name for awhile

Old 03-16-2012, 04:54 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite1989 View Post
If you ever find yourself in Southwest Virginia try the New River, this is my native river, and its been in a couple magazines for the Small Mouths it produces. It also has a fair amount of Large Mouth, and Strippers in certain areas. I have even seen pictures of people pulling out Sankehead. So be ready for anything.

Its good all summer really, but real good times are the obvious spawn dates, as well as mid to late fall.

Its a long way to go for you, but just chiming in with a tid bit of info.
Fishing AND strippers? Count me in! milt.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:58 PM

swhite1989 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt spawn View Post
Fishing AND strippers? Count me in! milt.
Yea, that would be fun, but unfortunately it was a typo :/