The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 02:22 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Where is smallie heaven and when should I be there?

Most of my life fishing has been when and where the opportunity popped up. Now, I'm more about being at the right place at the right time now and loving it.

My favorite non-anadromous FW fish is the smallie, but there aint many around me. I hear/read about places like the Finger Lakes, the upper midwest, the southeast...

My wife and I like road trips and could probably arrange to be about anywhere in the lower 48 when the smallies are really happening. I can wade and will probably have a float tube with me...

Where should I go and when should I be there?

Thanks for any help!

-Mike
Old 02-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Where is smallie heaven and when should I be there?

Probably more road than you want but............The west branch of the Susquehanna River from the Jersey Shore Bridge up to the mouth of Big Pine Creek. I've never seen a place with more fish except the Sockeye run on the Kenai last year, it hit over 4.5 million fish.

The Suskey is in Pennsylvania and like I said, a lot of road and you need a boat to access the water. I just thought I would say it because you ask, timing; May - October
mrfzx likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-09-2012, 04:17 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Here in the northeast it's Maine. Prime rivers are the Penobscot up stream from Old Town and the Androscoggin down stream from the NH state line.
If you've never been to Maine.......
Old 02-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Smallie Heaven may very well be right here where I live on the Rainy River. We have a pretty big average size and a lot of them. For the most part there are not getting fished for either. Part of it is that this is the Walleye capital of the world, or so they tell us that. Actually they might be right on that one to. But I digress. Since virtually everyone coming here to fish do it for the Walleye, the Smallies are pretty much left alone. The biggest problem for those who don't live here, is that it isn't the end of the Earth here, but you can see it from here.
pikehunter948 likes this.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

This won't help much, but I found smallie heaven last summer. My son got permission to fish on a private pond in Longmont, CO. Great place to take a kid fishing and the four year old grandson had a blast. The smallies didn't disappoint, it was non-stop action for several hours, throwing large dry flies, what a great way to spend a day fishing. I sure hope we can get permission this summer! Earlier this winter I joined the popper swap just so I would be armed for the smallie action this coming summer!

Old 02-09-2012, 06:23 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Smallie Heaven may very well be right here where I live on the Rainy River. We have a pretty big average size and a lot of them. For the most part there are not getting fished for either. Part of it is that this is the Walleye capital of the world, or so they tell us that. Actually they might be right on that one to. But I digress. Since virtually everyone coming here to fish do it for the Walleye, the Smallies are pretty much left alone. The biggest problem for those who don't live here, is that it isn't the end of the Earth here, but you can see it from here.

No doubt you live in prime smallie country, Dan. I have fished the Vermillion area many times, and the fishing is fantastic. I actually had a chance last year to fish Sturgeon on Rainy, but got stuck working that weekend instead :sadface:. I'm lucky enough to live on the Mississippi though, so I can't complain either.

The Upper Mississippi is another trophy smallmouth destination. If it was me, a road trip to Minnesota for smallmouths would be on my to-do list. Places like Rainy, Vermillion, Mille Lacs, The Upper Mississippi, and even the Zumbro river are all trophy producing systems.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:14 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Rip, I used to be in Bangor and Portland both a bit in the '90s but they were kinda head down trips. Love the fall there...Columbus day. Lobstah.

You Rainy river guys....THAT is rural...but possible. It would be nice to be somewhere no one else fished for them.

Hey, I got my wife in WVa last fall and she loved it. Rural is ok as long as there's a Macy's at the end of the road.

-Mike
Old 02-09-2012, 09:22 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

Northern Ohio all the way. We've got Lake Erie and all the tributaries!
Old 02-10-2012, 09:13 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Come to Missouri. You can wade fish streams and throw flies to fish in the 18"+ class all day long. we have a ton of places to fish for them here and excellent conservation on them.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-10-2012, 10:29 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Probably more road than you want but............The west branch of the Susquehanna River from the Jersey Shore Bridge up to the mouth of Big Pine Creek. I've never seen a place with more fish except the Sockeye run on the Kenai last year, it hit over 4.5 million fish.

The Suskey is in Pennsylvania and like I said, a lot of road and you need a boat to access the water. I just thought I would say it because you ask, timing; May - October
They're that close me??? Thanks Ard, this is on my short list of things to do this year