The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 10:15 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Muskie River Fishing

I have a muskie fly that was given to me that I need to post a photo of... it includes a ridiculous amount of materials. Maybe I'll get a chance to post it tonight.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-05-2012, 04:06 PM

joshw is on a distinguished road

Look up Brad Bohen or Musky country outfitters. He has pictures of some big flies as does bill Scherrer (spelling?) of "we tie it" in boulder junction. Both of these guys specialize in muskie flies.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:28 PM

edw is on a distinguished road

I fished for Muskies 22 times last year with a fly and landed 31 of them at an average size of 38" with the biggest being 47". I truly believe Muskies can be had as easily as fishing with heavy hardware.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:46 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

A couple ideas: First here's a link with pics of the Boyd Pfieffer Invincible fly. Great fly for toothy critters as it's about as indestructible as a fly can be.
https://www.msu.edu/~connert/pikefly.htm My two favorites are the old Red and White pattern, think big Dardevele Spoon, or the Yellow with red. All Chartruese comes in close also. I tie these from 4-8 inches and with bead chain eyes, or bigger clouser eyes if I need depth. One of these in red and white accounted for a 20 plus lb Snook off Sebastian Inlet late one night.

Secondly with baby birds around there will be snakes also looking for an easy meal. I tie a Snake fly with Schlappen Palmered head and a long rabbit strip tail, with most of the fur shaved off. It's light, casts easy and a mono loop out the tail will help keep tangles to a minimum. Black and Purple is my best color combo but match any snakes oin your area.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 03-07-2012, 02:28 PM

thenextlevel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by edw View Post
I fished for Muskies 22 times last year with a fly and landed 31 of them at an average size of 38" with the biggest being 47". I truly believe Muskies can be had as easily as fishing with heavy hardware.
What area of the country do you live in? I know professional guides that wish they had that kind of success rate.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:41 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

With the baby birds falling off the bridge, I wonder if a big floating mouse pattern stipped through there would do the trick?

Or maybe a Jack Gartside Gurgler: http://www.jackgartside.com/step_gurgler.htm

Here is another idea: I saw this video awhile back, this fly is designed by Brad Bohen of Musky Country Outfitters, he calls it the Hangtime Optic Minnow. Pretty awesome looking pattern with lots of movement potential in the water.
Part 1
Part2
grassonfly likes this.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:10 AM

edw is on a distinguished road

I live in Oregon but we have no Muskies in state. I do all my fishing in Washington where there are 7 lakes with Tiger Muskies. Several over 50s caught each year.
Ed
Old 03-08-2012, 10:50 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

That hangtime minnow is AWESOME. Somehow I'ver never tied any hollow-style flies, but that drought will be ending shortly! Also, those clear cure eyes are amazing, when talking to Mike Schmidt from Angler's Choice flies I was introduced to them. They are wicked.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-08-2012, 03:31 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I got some bucktail streamers in a bass fly swap last year from Mark I think and they are reverse tied like that and they are really cool. I need to do that more.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-11-2012, 07:16 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

You asked for a Baby Duck so here it is: FlyTyingForum.com - Musky Patte Popper "Baby Duck" The Baby Duck Popper!
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/