Muskie River Fishing

mtowner23

Reaction score
I know there aren't too many places to catch river Muskie, but I happen to live/work right next to one of the best ones in NY. Staring out my window at work, I can see almost a mile long stretch of one of the best sections to fish.

Every spring when the baby birds are starting to hatch, the musky congregate under the bridges to catch the babies birds that fall from their nests. I'm told on really good days, you can cast a rubber duck on the water and you can catch some monster sized fish.

Has anyone had any experience fishing for these toothy monsters? My office mate and I are planning on throwing lines in over lunch breaks this summer. It's only a 5 minute walk and we're ready to fish.

Anyone have "baby bird" flies that they've used before?

grassonfly

Reaction score
that sounds incredible. Im sure there are bird flies out there but id say you should figure out your own. It will be harder but hey you might develop a famous duckling fly.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
I have fished for them. Its exhausting. 8wts get heavy in a hurry, 30 pound leaders with 30lb wire tippets with 2/0 hooks with 3/4 of a chicken and 1/4 of a deer on the end of it are as wind resistant as a house. that being said, work the magic of 7's. 47* water they will start to move into the shallows, at 57* they will start to spawn, at 67* they start to look for deeper water and at 77* you go deep fior em. I havent hooked into one yet but the time is coming soon for me to start again soon. also pick days that are poor. windy, cloudy, maybe a light rain. that has musky fishing written all over it

theboz

Reaction score
Living close to a good musky river myself the baby birds sound right up there alley. Muskys can be opportunists and look for such happenings. But for me I'd rather set up on a feeder stream to the main river where muskys will lie and wait for a variety of baits to wash down.Never seem to have a big enough offering though.
On occasion driving to the river spotted a construction crew totally muddying up the feeder stream to the river. Upon arriving at the river there was a midline for 30 ft out running the length of the river. A friend and I fished crayfish patterns and weighted streamers at the edges of the mudline with phenomenal success . Almost every cast produced a smallmouth and even several walleyes. Both of us had musky followups but no takers. My second followups was so close I easily could have touched the big girl (monster) but she was just amused by my little offering. I believe if I had a fly the size of the brown trout in that stream I might have had a chance.
So good luck with the duck flys but I think you'll need more than a lunch hour to connect .

alcorn

Reaction score
I've fished pretty extensively for them growing up in Wisconsin and Minn. I read a book called "Pike on the Fly" and the author does a very good job of discussing them and how to fish. My suggestion would be go when the water is cool. And go when you can cover a lot of water. Muskie are a fish that like a lot of water.

mtowner23

Reaction score
Great feedback guys, thanks! I've never tied flies before, but two of my fishing buddies enjoy trying to figure out how to make new ones. Maybe I'll see if one of them is up to the challenge.

Is an 8wt setup what I should go with? I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for one of those too.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
Both of us had musky followups but no takers. My second followups was so close I easily could have touched the big girl (monster) but she was just amused by my little offering. I believe if I had a fly the size of the brown trout in that stream I might have had a chance.
So good luck with the duck flys but I think you'll need more than a lunch hour to connect .
thats more then alot of people will get in months and years of fishing for them. I have talked to people who will count follows instead of hookups. if they follow, you are supposed to start doing figure 8's in the water right at the boat or shore where you are fishing and they will usually eat it then.

Is an 8wt setup what I should go with? I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for one of those too.
8wt at a minimum. these are some big fish, you can expect 40"+ fish to come crashing down on your fly. I almost feel outgunned trying with an 8wt but it's doable.

joshw

Reaction score
Look up Brad Bohen or Musky country outfitters. He has pictures of some big flies as does bill Scherrer (spelling?) of "we tie it" in boulder junction. Both of these guys specialize in muskie flies.

edw

Reaction score
I fished for Muskies 22 times last year with a fly and landed 31 of them at an average size of 38" with the biggest being 47". I truly believe Muskies can be had as easily as fishing with heavy hardware.

chuck s

Reaction score
A couple ideas: First here's a link with pics of the Boyd Pfieffer Invincible fly. Great fly for toothy critters as it's about as indestructible as a fly can be.
https://www.msu.edu/~connert/pikefly.htm My two favorites are the old Red and White pattern, think big Dardevele Spoon, or the Yellow with red. All Chartruese comes in close also. I tie these from 4-8 inches and with bead chain eyes, or bigger clouser eyes if I need depth. One of these in red and white accounted for a 20 plus lb Snook off Sebastian Inlet late one night.

Secondly with baby birds around there will be snakes also looking for an easy meal. I tie a Snake fly with Schlappen Palmered head and a long rabbit strip tail, with most of the fur shaved off. It's light, casts easy and a mono loop out the tail will help keep tangles to a minimum. Black and Purple is my best color combo but match any snakes oin your area.

thenextlevel

Reaction score
I fished for Muskies 22 times last year with a fly and landed 31 of them at an average size of 38" with the biggest being 47". I truly believe Muskies can be had as easily as fishing with heavy hardware.
What area of the country do you live in? I know professional guides that wish they had that kind of success rate.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
With the baby birds falling off the bridge, I wonder if a big floating mouse pattern stipped through there would do the trick?

Or maybe a Jack Gartside Gurgler: http://www.jackgartside.com/step_gurgler.htm

Here is another idea: I saw this video awhile back, this fly is designed by Brad Bohen of Musky Country Outfitters, he calls it the Hangtime Optic Minnow. Pretty awesome looking pattern with lots of movement potential in the water.
Part 1
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5oJUsIpxQY]Afton Angler Ties The Hangtime Optic Minnow Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]
Part2
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uc8lZyrwtI]Afton Angler Ties The Hangtime Optic Minnow Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

edw

Reaction score
I live in Oregon but we have no Muskies in state. I do all my fishing in Washington where there are 7 lakes with Tiger Muskies. Several over 50s caught each year.
Ed

gatortransplant

Reaction score
That hangtime minnow is AWESOME. Somehow I'ver never tied any hollow-style flies, but that drought will be ending shortly! Also, those clear cure eyes are amazing, when talking to Mike Schmidt from Angler's Choice flies I was introduced to them. They are wicked.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
I got some bucktail streamers in a bass fly swap last year from Mark I think and they are reverse tied like that and they are really cool. I need to do that more.