The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 06:26 PM

mtowner23 is on a distinguished road
Default Muskie River Fishing

I know there aren't too many places to catch river Muskie, but I happen to live/work right next to one of the best ones in NY. Staring out my window at work, I can see almost a mile long stretch of one of the best sections to fish.

Every spring when the baby birds are starting to hatch, the musky congregate under the bridges to catch the babies birds that fall from their nests. I'm told on really good days, you can cast a rubber duck on the water and you can catch some monster sized fish.

Has anyone had any experience fishing for these toothy monsters? My office mate and I are planning on throwing lines in over lunch breaks this summer. It's only a 5 minute walk and we're ready to fish.

Anyone have "baby bird" flies that they've used before?
ghost_reaper and grassonfly like this.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:07 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Muskie River Fishing

I really want to get out after muskie sometime in the future, so let me know how you guys do. I know we have some spots in the area that hold fish.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-09-2012, 07:44 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

that sounds incredible. Im sure there are bird flies out there but id say you should figure out your own. It will be harder but hey you might develop a famous duckling fly.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtowner23 View Post

Anyone have "baby bird" flies that they've used before?
How about a big yellow Dahlberg Mega Diver. Actually, I'll bet if you had long enough Deer Belly, you could stack a pretty reasonable baby duck fly.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:03 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I have fished for them. Its exhausting. 8wts get heavy in a hurry, 30 pound leaders with 30lb wire tippets with 2/0 hooks with 3/4 of a chicken and 1/4 of a deer on the end of it are as wind resistant as a house. that being said, work the magic of 7's. 47* water they will start to move into the shallows, at 57* they will start to spawn, at 67* they start to look for deeper water and at 77* you go deep fior em. I havent hooked into one yet but the time is coming soon for me to start again soon. also pick days that are poor. windy, cloudy, maybe a light rain. that has musky fishing written all over it

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-09-2012, 09:05 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Muskie River Fishing

Living close to a good musky river myself the baby birds sound right up there alley. Muskys can be opportunists and look for such happenings. But for me I'd rather set up on a feeder stream to the main river where muskys will lie and wait for a variety of baits to wash down.Never seem to have a big enough offering though.
On occasion driving to the river spotted a construction crew totally muddying up the feeder stream to the river. Upon arriving at the river there was a midline for 30 ft out running the length of the river. A friend and I fished crayfish patterns and weighted streamers at the edges of the mudline with phenomenal success . Almost every cast produced a smallmouth and even several walleyes. Both of us had musky followups but no takers. My second followups was so close I easily could have touched the big girl (monster) but she was just amused by my little offering. I believe if I had a fly the size of the brown trout in that stream I might have had a chance.
So good luck with the duck flys but I think you'll need more than a lunch hour to connect .
Old 02-09-2012, 09:39 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Epoxy a 6/0 to a rubber duckie, I bet Rajeff could cast it....

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-10-2012, 02:01 AM

alcorn is on a distinguished road

I've fished pretty extensively for them growing up in Wisconsin and Minn. I read a book called "Pike on the Fly" and the author does a very good job of discussing them and how to fish. My suggestion would be go when the water is cool. And go when you can cover a lot of water. Muskie are a fish that like a lot of water.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:42 AM

mtowner23 is on a distinguished road

Great feedback guys, thanks! I've never tied flies before, but two of my fishing buddies enjoy trying to figure out how to make new ones. Maybe I'll see if one of them is up to the challenge.

Is an 8wt setup what I should go with? I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for one of those too.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:12 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Both of us had musky followups but no takers. My second followups was so close I easily could have touched the big girl (monster) but she was just amused by my little offering. I believe if I had a fly the size of the brown trout in that stream I might have had a chance.
So good luck with the duck flys but I think you'll need more than a lunch hour to connect .
thats more then alot of people will get in months and years of fishing for them. I have talked to people who will count follows instead of hookups. if they follow, you are supposed to start doing figure 8's in the water right at the boat or shore where you are fishing and they will usually eat it then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtowner23 View Post
Is an 8wt setup what I should go with? I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for one of those too.
8wt at a minimum. these are some big fish, you can expect 40"+ fish to come crashing down on your fly. I almost feel outgunned trying with an 8wt but it's doable.

Storm Drain Bonefisher