Prepare yourselves....

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Jhammer, you're much better off with sheepshead/drum as your new secret, they're voracious eaters and MUCH easier to unhook :p Carp are my late summer fish, great casting practice too when they're way out across the flats!

jhammer

Reaction score
Jhammer, you're much better off with sheepshead/drum as your new secret, they're voracious eaters and MUCH easier to unhook :p Carp are my late summer fish, great casting practice too when they're way out across the flats!
I'll admit that I've ruined many good flies trying to get them out of the gooey lips of a carp. :rolleyes:

I have many other secrets up my sleeve *cough*buffalo and gar*cough* ;)

stl_geoff

Reaction score
yeah i dont think it will go as classy or mainstream as trout though since you arent in glamours places to catch them. at anyrate, i still try and keep my carp locations secret from certain people.

raindogt

Reaction score
I can't imagine too many coldwater guys will completely switch sides... Maybe the occasional outing, or two-- but as a whole, I suppose the influx we will see is gong to be 'new' anglers.

I say good for the industry and me. More gear sold-- industry is happy, prices may go down (HA!-- like that will ever happen...) .... And, the guys who quickly lose interest of the hunt will have lots of gently used gear at good prices for you and I to grab up second-hand. Keep an eye on CL and eBay for the next year-- lots of high weight rigs available-- that's my bet.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
We need a new movie! "A Storm Drain Runs Through It!"

Yes, I can just see it now! :rolleyes:

Thousands of upwardly financial folks buying up all the latest Carp fly fishing gear. Wallowing around in the mud & muck of their favorite carp infested backwater! It's sure to be the greatest fly fishing trend on them all! :thumbsup:

:D

tbblom

Reaction score
I tried for carp several days last year, but only ended up hooking one, and spooking many. I end up catching several bass instead, which is a lot of fun. Once caught a little channel cat, surprising fight in a catfish!

I will be trying for carp again next spring/summer... joining the fad if you will. We've got a ton of carp ponds locally, I've seen a few fish in the 3' plus size category. They sure are picky!

Some material to get the palms sweating:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eqzYBOTAz8"]Fly Fishing for Carp in Colorado (Part 1) - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=698Hy1Ukez8&feature=related"]Fly Fishing for Carp in Colorado (Part 2) - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aElq1s2PKwk&feature=related"]Fly Fishing for Carp in Colorado (Part 3) - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

bigjim5589

Reaction score
depends......but more then likely no. haha.
Story of my life! :(

tbblom, I've been fortunate enough to have landed a few carp over the years, but have actually spent little time targeting them. Most have been just opportunities that came about at the time I was chasing other species, like bass. I've caught several catfish also while chasing other species, particularly Channel Cats.

Still, as some other guys say on another site I frequent, any pullage is good! :D

pikehunter948

Reaction score
The NY Times has decreed that it's cool to fly fish for carp! Congrats to all of us trendsetters! However, since our secret is out, prepare to be invaded by the bandwagon folks. :eek:

I'll be sure to keep fly fishing for catfish and gar as my little secret. ;)
Ah heck there goes the neighborhood!

Love to catch gar in So. Fla on bunny strips - and watch 'em go nutz

drlaser

Reaction score
If I get the chance to make my carp fishing movie this summer which I hope to do, can I use this as the title? haha. Its perfectly fitting for where I mainly fish for them
Laugh all you want but I fish out of a drainage creek and in the summer I pull out 3 to 4 pound bass everyday. You guys would be in Heaven in Fort Worth. we have boat access to the trinity and have you guys seen the world record alligator gar? it was caught 30 minutes from sun dance square and we have very very large buffalo here the fish not the mammal.