The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 09:32 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Spring is almost here

There'll be more trips for sure, particularly April and may, prime dry fly season!

Here's a good bookmark for conditions up there - Delaware River Club. Its updated daily during the season. Weekly in the off season

Addicted To Vise
Old 02-23-2012, 09:34 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I met the guys from the DRC at the Somerset show, they really got me looking forward to fishing dries down there. I'm also looking at picking up some sort of water transport, whether its a 'toon, a float, or what. I'd love to have a drift boat, but I'm a broke college student

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-23-2012, 09:43 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

water transport is key! But there is public access too, though its limited. Water transport also requires two cars!

Addicted To Vise
Old 02-23-2012, 10:55 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Wednesdays work for me, weekends are tough. Just let me know when
Old 02-23-2012, 11:34 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been neglecting the stocked trout at the local lake, searching the local warmwater stream for signs of anything this past week. I saw a minnow, but haven't caught anything yet.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:57 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Actually, Wednesdays are perfect for me this semester as well. And presumably we'll have at least two cars, since we'll be driving from a number of places! This is starting to sound all too tempting...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-23-2012, 12:01 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I'll bring the fishing buggy, and the yak on top if it's needed
Old 02-23-2012, 11:37 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Felt like spring today. Managed a few yellow perch from the Lehigh. Maybe that scar on the pickerel is from a blue heron taking a bad stab or an osprey who couldn't hold on . Couple of years back thought it was raining brook trout on a local road. Turned out to be an osprey who dropped his catch. When he went to retrieve it got hit by a car.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-16-2013, 08:50 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
The last few weeks I've been driving back to NY to fish my early season spots. I should be exploring some early season NJ spots, but old habits die hard. The Bass still haven't woken up but a handful of Pickerel kept me busy most of the afternoon. This guy was worth a pic because of his impressive scar. It confused me a bit because this is a small pond. There shouldn't be anything toothy thats big enough to do this so it must have happened when he was young. It also looks like he was inhaled head first and somehow got away?

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
You'd be surprised. I got a 38 1/2" Pike once that was far worse chewed up than that. My Navy buddy Fred got a 40 1/2" that had a bite that made it all the way around it. And last but not least, the biggest Pike I ever saw in my entire life was in a little lake that if they allowed motors you be at the other side about the time you got it up on plane. If that fish weighed less than 40 pounds I'd eat my hat. I live in a spot with really big Pike and I have seen them try and eat stuff that looks way to big and make it.

Now for the signs of Spring, it's -21 F right now as I type this. You might be getting signs, but up here the order for the signs have not been placed yet, let alone showed up.

I should probably add: The 38 1/2" Pike was torn up from an attempt to eat it. The 40 1/2" Pike was more likely from a fight over spawning territory. The 38 1/2" Pike had been gabbed sideways more down by the dorsal and then worked towards the head to turn and swallow it. It had the vast majority of it's body worked over and judging by the wat the fish had been working it, I think it was only 2 more moves from being turned when it escaped. I really want to catch the fish that did that.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Spring is a far horizon here Marco. I still have another trip to the cabin coming up before the end of February and will stay through March. I'm putting together a freight load of building materials and when it's loaded I'll be back out in the snow & ice for another 2 months. The good news is that when the ice goes out the boat is right here & ready to go.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;