The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Warmwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Spring is almost here (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/243380-spring-almost-here.html)

swirlchaser 02-22-2012 09:23 PM

Spring is almost here

The last few weeks I've been driving back to NY to fish my early season spots. I should be exploring some early season NJ spots, but old habits die hard:D. The Bass still haven't woken up but a handful of Pickerel kept me busy most of the afternoon. This guy was worth a pic because of his impressive scar. It confused me a bit because this is a small pond. There shouldn't be anything toothy thats big enough to do this so it must have happened when he was young. It also looks like he was inhaled head first and somehow got away?:confused:

[IMG]http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/...o/P2220142.jpg[/IMG]

gatortransplant 02-22-2012 09:45 PM

Re: Spring is almost here

My buddy here can't stop talking about one of our spring spots, and the spring steelhead run is definitely just around the corner. As far as that scar, definitely interesting. You've been a pickerel-catching machine lately! While I have plenty of fun with steelhead and inland trout, I'm looking forward to smallmouth coming in...

jhammer 02-23-2012 12:45 AM

I've been sitting here like a cat pawing at the window wanting to get out. I did go to the reservoir a couple of days ago and pulled out 5 dink bluegill for a probable case of frostbite. :rolleyes:

stl_geoff 02-23-2012 08:04 AM

I know im getting so pumped. Thinking of trying to get out this weekend to a spring creek and do some collecting to repopulate my aquarium.

wabi 02-23-2012 08:17 AM

Felt like spring yesterday so I caught a few 'gills to celebrate. :)
Looks like some more winter weather for the weekend, though. :(

I'm ready for summer! :eek:

s fontinalis 02-23-2012 08:27 AM

Sure as hell feels like spring here in Philly today. I think i'm gonna have to make an early trip to the Delaware within the next couple weeks....

swirlchaser 02-23-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatortransplant (Post 401938)
My buddy here can't stop talking about one of our spring spots, and the spring steelhead run is definitely just around the corner. As far as that scar, definitely interesting. You've been a pickerel-catching machine lately! While I have plenty of fun with steelhead and inland trout, I'm looking forward to smallmouth coming in...

They shine this time of year. The Bass are still laying low so the Pickerel have no competion right now. By the end of May this little pond will be choked with lily pads and basically unfishable so I have to make the most of it now.

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by s fontinalis (Post 402120)
Sure as hell feels like spring here in Philly today. I think i'm gonna have to make an early trip to the Delaware within the next couple weeks....

Eunan,
I've been trying to get down your way. I will get down there this year...

gatortransplant 02-23-2012 08:49 AM

Keep me posted on the Delaware trip, Eunan, maybe we can kidnap Marco for the trip!

s fontinalis 02-23-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatortransplant (Post 402144)
Keep me posted on the Delaware trip, Eunan, maybe we can kidnap Marco for the trip!

Will do. I was thinking March 10 or March 17. Though i think on those dates the season isnt open yet, so only the border water with NY/PA will be fishable.

gatortransplant 02-23-2012 09:28 AM

March 10 I will be at the Midwest Expo, and the following week is my Spring Break so I don't think I'll be available. However, I'm sure we'll get another shot at it so I don't want to be the one holding up your fishing trip!