The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 09:23 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spring is almost here

The last few weeks I've been driving back to NY to fish my early season spots. I should be exploring some early season NJ spots, but old habits die hard. The Bass still haven't woken up but a handful of Pickerel kept me busy most of the afternoon. This guy was worth a pic because of his impressive scar. It confused me a bit because this is a small pond. There shouldn't be anything toothy thats big enough to do this so it must have happened when he was young. It also looks like he was inhaled head first and somehow got away?

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Last edited by swirlchaser; 02-23-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:45 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Spring is almost here

My buddy here can't stop talking about one of our spring spots, and the spring steelhead run is definitely just around the corner. As far as that scar, definitely interesting. You've been a pickerel-catching machine lately! While I have plenty of fun with steelhead and inland trout, I'm looking forward to smallmouth coming in...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-23-2012, 12:45 AM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

I've been sitting here like a cat pawing at the window wanting to get out. I did go to the reservoir a couple of days ago and pulled out 5 dink bluegill for a probable case of frostbite.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:04 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I know im getting so pumped. Thinking of trying to get out this weekend to a spring creek and do some collecting to repopulate my aquarium.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-23-2012, 08:17 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Felt like spring yesterday so I caught a few 'gills to celebrate.
Looks like some more winter weather for the weekend, though.

I'm ready for summer!
Old 02-23-2012, 08:27 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Sure as hell feels like spring here in Philly today. I think i'm gonna have to make an early trip to the Delaware within the next couple weeks....

Addicted To Vise
Old 02-23-2012, 08:44 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
My buddy here can't stop talking about one of our spring spots, and the spring steelhead run is definitely just around the corner. As far as that scar, definitely interesting. You've been a pickerel-catching machine lately! While I have plenty of fun with steelhead and inland trout, I'm looking forward to smallmouth coming in...
They shine this time of year. The Bass are still laying low so the Pickerel have no competion right now. By the end of May this little pond will be choked with lily pads and basically unfishable so I have to make the most of it now.

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
Sure as hell feels like spring here in Philly today. I think i'm gonna have to make an early trip to the Delaware within the next couple weeks....
Eunan,
I've been trying to get down your way. I will get down there this year...
Old 02-23-2012, 08:49 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Keep me posted on the Delaware trip, Eunan, maybe we can kidnap Marco for the trip!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-23-2012, 09:19 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Keep me posted on the Delaware trip, Eunan, maybe we can kidnap Marco for the trip!
Will do. I was thinking March 10 or March 17. Though i think on those dates the season isnt open yet, so only the border water with NY/PA will be fishable.

Addicted To Vise
Old 02-23-2012, 09:28 AM

March 10 I will be at the Midwest Expo, and the following week is my Spring Break so I don't think I'll be available. However, I'm sure we'll get another shot at it so I don't want to be the one holding up your fishing trip!