The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 08:08 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about
Default What I've been up to...

It's getting about that time again. Since it's getting closer to spring, I've started tying more and more. I haven't posted much about tying because I've done so little of it this winter. I've been tying some foam bugs here and there since I've gotten my new 2wt. I tied up a few size 10 bugs and may do some 12's also. My little sister has been getting more into fly fishing again, so I've been working on a various box of goodies for her re-introduction too. I taught her when she was 8, but her interest kind of faded. Now, she's been asking questions and really wants to learn more. So, I'm making her a box that has foam bugs, woolly worms and buggers, and some of my mudbugs. I also tied some more of my kat killers because I ran out of material last summer and didn't get more until now. They're simple, quick, and catfish love them. (So do carp and drum! )

Standard old foam bugs

Click the image to open in full size.

Kat Killers

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:34 AM

Keith Williams is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What I've been up to...

jhammer: those photos are causing my casting arm to twich. Nice job! I think I will try a few of the Kat killers.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcharlie View Post
jhammer: those photos are causing my casting arm to twich. Nice job! I think I will try a few of the Kat killers.
I feel the same way. When I was tying them, I was daydreaming about wading out into the river and drifting them through some deep holes.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

jhammer: I really like those kat killers and can see how the carp would like them also! Congrats!

Old 02-26-2012, 02:35 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

Me too on the Kat Killers. What size do you tie the KK's on??? I like your spiders too. I would suggest you also try some yellow ones. Yellow is the only color I use any more. It works and this old fella can see them too.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz View Post
Me too on the Kat Killers. What size do you tie the KK's on??? I like your spiders too. I would suggest you also try some yellow ones. Yellow is the only color I use any more. It works and this old fella can see them too.
I tie the KK's on size 8 Mustad R73 3X long 2X strong hooks. Size 8 seems to be a good size for me. I've caught some real river monsters on them and never had a problem. I also use the largest size bead the hook can take.

As for the foam bugs, I've done a few yellow and brown ones too. For some reason, the bluegill here love a light seafoam green one with white legs.