The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 02:27 PM

bucktail will become famous soon enoughbucktail will become famous soon enough
Default First attempts Pike/Bass flies

Okay so I have been reading threads in this forum for awhile (even before I joined) and I have wanted to post somthing for awhile. So I taught myself last year how to do a bit of fly cast with a reddington crosswater 8 weight (of course since then I have another 8 weight, a 10 weight, and two six weights). Last week I wen't to cabelas and got their delux fly tying kit. And have started with some bucktail please tell me what you think I plan on getting new material and branching out.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:44 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First attempts Pike/Bass flies

Your on the right track Bucktail. I do have one critique for you. When you tie with bucktail tie it in multiple layers. Your first tie near the hook bend should be sparse then build forward from there. By doing this you use the same amount of material but you will build a profile instead of just a clump of material.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Your on the right track Bucktail. I do have one critique for you. When you tie with bucktail tie it in multiple layers. Your first tie near the hook bend should be sparse then build forward from there. By doing this you use the same amount of material but you will build a profile instead of just a clump of material.

Thanks I will do that! I learn somthing everytime I tie, so I try to do a couple every day just do get the hang of it and get a feel for the tools as well as how to work the materials. Its absolutely addicting. Thanks.

Tight lines,
Bucktail
Old 03-03-2012, 03:17 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: First attempts Pike/Bass flies

Getting good advise from Swirl on layering you bucktail. If you want to try something different for Pike Flys or saltwater creations try some synthetics like fish hair. You can really get some nice results with these materials and the big bait profile that these predators are looking for.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-03-2012, 03:42 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I saw the pic you posted, looks like your fishing a 7wt? If you are you may want to consider rabbit strips and beadchain or dumbell eyes as your next material. Bass love Bunny Clousers and you can cast them with a 7wt.
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 03-03-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Getting good advise from Swirl on layering you bucktail. If you want to try something different for Pike Flys or saltwater creations try some synthetics like fish hair. You can really get some nice results with these materials and the big bait profile that these predators are looking for.

Sounds good thats what im goin for I just orderd a ton of stuff I'll put the list under this but I hope to expand, I have been watching alot of youtube videos it has been hepfull in learning how to use the different materials in combinaton and how they pair things up to get a certin look or action form the fly.

Tight lines,
Bucktail

Materials list
All of these are found at cabelas.com.

x3 magnum Zonker strips (white, red, and black)
x1 (feathers) whiting fly tiers variety pack
x1 bucktail grab bag
x1 dark earthtone chenille assortment
x1 flashabou assortment
x1 oval tinsel (medium gold)
x2 centipede legs (yellow,orange)
x1 real eyes plus assortment

I hope to do all kinds of tying with this.

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

Quote:
I saw the pic you posted, looks like your fishing a 7wt? If you are you may want to consider rabbit strips and beadchain or dumbell eyes as your next material. Bass love Bunny Clousers and you can cast them with a 7wt.
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Close that was an 8 weight reddington crosswater but since then I have purchased an 8 weight red fly combo, a heat 10 weight combo, a 5 weight TFO, and a 6 weight guide series. I have just orderd rabbit strips and weighted eyes. In fact I tied my first clouser last night and using a method I found online I used a .177 caliber pellet for an air rifle for the weighted eye I will try and post it.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:53 PM

You won't need the magnum strips for Bass size flies. 3-4" flies are better with the regular strips.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
You won't need the magnum strips for Bass size flies. 3-4" flies are better with the regular strips.

Understood I orderd those with pike in mind but Im sure I could cut them down alittle to get the job done and if that dosent work I can get some regular strips as well.

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

This was the clouser I was speaking of. I know its pretty crappy but it was my first one and as I stated I used a .177 caliber led pellet.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

A couple quick tips on Clousers. A down turn eye hook will ride better. If the hook is to heavy they don't ride right either. The dumbell eyes make the hook point ride up so you want to put the colors on so the 'top' of the fly is in the bend of the hook. When I do the 'top' hair, because it does not get a double wrap over the eyes, I get it just tied down and put head cement on, then crank it down good. Then cement it again. That forces cement into the hair and makes them tougher. I use this fly more than anything else. They will catch anything there is.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
A couple quick tips on Clousers. A down turn eye hook will ride better. If the hook is to heavy they don't ride right either. The dumbell eyes make the hook point ride up so you want to put the colors on so the 'top' of the fly is in the bend of the hook. When I do the 'top' hair, because it does not get a double wrap over the eyes, I get it just tied down and put head cement on, then crank it down good. Then cement it again. That forces cement into the hair and makes them tougher. I use this fly more than anything else. They will catch anything there is.

Wow that was through thank you. Im still very new so I appreciate all this advice. I should have some of the correct hooks and eyes in here soon so it should help me get past this hump("what hump?" lol I noticed your Igore picture). Anyway thanks again I will post my revisions once I get my order in.

Tight lines, Bucktail