The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 09:43 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Adventures in a Storm Drain!!

How about a jump start of this polished turd for 2013?!?!

Offical start to spring is a mear 31 days off, so that means its about time to start fishing the drain again. I have been watching it over the winter as I walk my dogs down by it, we see many things. I have made note of several things. While we havent had much snow, we have had rain and the flow of the creek seems pretty good. All the dry spots have now had water flowing across them for several months. Deer are still EVERYWHERE, same with barred and great horned owls, heard a bunch of coyotes this winter, finally saw one the other day and it was a big boy ( musta been eating plenty of stray house cats ).

Saturday on our morning walk I stopped at my usual carp hole and there they were, basking gloriously in the sun. All my carp buddies, and a new friend. A BIG, bright orange and black koi. Im going to have to meet this fish up close. Then I noticed a couple mud trails and a few of the fish were feeding in the leaves,...sweet. I keep wanting to get out for a hour one day but for every good day we have, we get 2 days of cold and blah which is just enough to put ice on the water and screw all that up.

So thats where we are...waiting for the thaw. The 8wt is cleaned up, theres a new allen reel to test out and 2 fly boxes completely stuffed with carp flies....IM ready.

I can't update this without a picture, so here's my one GSP in the snow
Click the image to open in full size.
fredaevans and mbphotos54 like this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-19-2013, 09:58 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Adventures in a Storm Drain!!

There are times I wish we had 'Six Stars' to assign to a thread. Something truly exceptional in the way of just pure fun to read.

This one gets my 'extra star.'

Fred
stl_geoff likes this.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:23 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Fred, this is one of my favorite threads. Brought a smile to my face when it came up this morning with new posts.

Dave
fredaevans and stl_geoff like this.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:28 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Im glad someone is getting a kick out of my antics and, at times, poor writing.
rubberguy likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-19-2013, 11:19 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

I for one am glad to see it back
Old 02-19-2013, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'll be looking forward to the season opener, you're gonna sight fish the Koi right
stl_geoff and rubberguy like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-19-2013, 08:47 PM

kingofamberley is on a distinguished road

I am now a follower of this thread I have a very similar stream near me (it contains a bit more raw sewage, after rainstorms, though it is CHALK FULL of HUGE carp). Looking forward to reading about this season! I wonder where that koi came from?
Old 02-19-2013, 09:00 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default "Poor writing?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
Im glad someone is getting a kick out of my antics and, at times, poor writing.
"Poor Writing?"

I think not, I think I'm hearing from a man across the table, or a good low campfire going, with a good beer in his/my hand. Everyone's sitting on the edge of their chair/chunk of log waiting for the next.

You stop talking, someone prods asking for more .....

Is there anything better than a life memory dump?

What prompt's that? And why?

Answer is you feel totally 'safe' with the folks around you.

I remember 'Joe,' just to pick a name. By 1800 he was drunk as a skunk and a couple of us had made up his bunk, we knew what was going to happen. Haul him off to bed, and he'd be up at 3AM firing off the fire pit and getting out his cast iron pans to make us "A good breakfast."

Police Whistle!!! One hour before daylight and we were all eating like Kings or Princes at my age.

50 years later, 'Joe' is still a mind stamp in my memory.

fae
stl_geoff likes this.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I'll be looking forward to the season opener, you're gonna sight fish the Koi right
You betcha!! Apparently koi are even more particular then carp soooo this outta be irritating.
swirlchaser likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-20-2013, 02:26 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
You betcha!! Apparently koi are even more particular then carp soooo this outta be irritating.
Oh they are! One of my local ponds has a few huge Koi in it and they drive me insane. They're soo bright they look like traffic cones in the water and I swear I can hear them laughing when I cast to them!
Click the image to open in full size.