The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 02:41 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adventures in a Storm Drain!!

Know that laugh quite well!!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-20-2013, 03:14 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

We'll see if I can get it on video...

I was hoping last summer to make a sweet video at the end of the year with everything I took......ya'll would be sorely dissappointed....so I will try better this year. maybe one day i'll make a video report instead of pictures so you can watch some poor casting in action!!

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-20-2013, 03:49 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck s View Post
Sewage drain and Catch and Release, a match made in heaven! Nice fish and a great first outing with a new rod.

Even though I haven't caught a European Carp on A Fly Rod I've caught heaps whilst Fishing for our Native Fish,a Friend's Son has caught them to 40lbs the are just about everywhere over here.
They were bought in to clean up the Irrigation Canals however they have had The Reverse Effect,They are in most of The Lakes,Private Dams,Rivers & Creeks & it's Illegal to rreturn them,so catch & release is out.
Incidently another guy from Sydney was telling me he had a Phone conversation with Laurie who used to Fish with us & has mooved back to Italy,Laurie was laughiing,he said he went to check out Fishing Spots near where he is living in Italy & he saw signs saying Carp were Protected.
Brian.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:16 AM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

i think the biggst thing to be learned from this thread is to be happy with what you have not only in flyfishing but in life in general.Im sure geoff would love to live five minutes from the yellowstone in montana or on the banks of some spring creek in idaho ,heck i know i would. but unfortuatley for the majority of us that just isnt reality. so we take a couple short road trips each year to whatever water we can get to for a reasonable amount of time and money and make the most of what we have close to home the rest of the time.I fish a few rivers similar to what geoff describes in my home area too(although i am fortunate to have a nice tail water 40 minute away full of wild browns) they arent famous they arent world class hell theyre borderline polluted but they are on the way between work and home and do hold carp sunfish a few smallmouth and chubs and i fish them all summer. sometimes on a cool spring evening when the warmth of the day starts to give way to the cool of the evening i can let my mind wander just a bit and be transported to some wandering river high on the westslope of the rockies.the brightly colored sunfish become small eager brookies, the silvery chubs turn into flashy rainbows and the bigger more stubborn carp of course are bruiser wary browns. the small mouth are surely greenback cutthroats... because they also have green backs. these types of places certainly arent glamorous but for most of us they are our flyfishing reality and we take them for what they are and are glad we have them close at hand. as i type this and its 25 degrees outside with 15 mile per hour winds a warm summer evening wading in water up to my knees passing the time with sunfish and a few small bass while hoping to get a chance at a carp sounds pretty dam good ,and it is ,this in my fishing reality and it aint perfect but im pretty happy to have it.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:20 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Adventures in a Storm Drain!! - 4 time update on 5-14!!!

That looks like a 24+ incher? Nice.

Ok what are you using?

larry
Old 03-05-2013, 09:19 PM

cincyspey is on a distinguished road

True words....fish while ya can
yonder likes this.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:56 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

So earlier this week whilst walking the doggies down there I saw a thing of beauty and glory....soft mud clouds with little orange tail tips gently flapping out of the water. The carp are tailing, the adventure will offically start this weekend.

As long as I get my main floor bathroom mostly renovated ( but seriously, i'll have a day off with no wife or baby...im gonna fish for atleast an hour )
diamond rush and yonder like this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-06-2013, 04:01 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Can't wait for the report. This is the best thread on the boards, imho.
yonder likes this.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:55 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

I look forward to this thread also......

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 04-07-2013, 06:49 PM

Spring is finally here in MO!!! We almost lost it with 12" of snow a couple weekends ago but its here. Things are budding and turning green, birds are all hot and bothered, annnnnnd I'm on the board for 2013.

Click the image to open in full size.

Sorry about the water spots on the lense, not sure how that got there but yeah, I told my wife today while the kiddo napped I wanted to go catch "a" fish and "a" fish I did catch. I missed 4 or 5 before this guy, I got too excited seeing that vaccum mouth coming down over the fly and pulled away too soon. Alas, all is well and the storm drain adventure continues for another year

Storm Drain Bonefisher