The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Adventures in a Storm Drain!!

Boy that's a fatty Greg, glad you're back in the groove. It's been snowing here for about 36 hours at this time. We were hoping for an early breakup but this will slow things down for awhile.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-07-2013, 07:23 PM

john montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the roughjohn montana is a jewel in the rough

On the board! Nice!

Carp on the Fly
Old 04-23-2013, 09:53 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Update Part 1.

This update contains no fishes...however, Part II ( coming this afternoon ) does contain fishes. so bare with me.

This is just to how much water can flow there here and how fast it can change. On 4/18, in less then 12 hours we got over 2" of rain. The creek hit a max stage of 14.5' and 3800 cfs, these pictures are the creek at ~12' stage and 3400 cfs

Click the image to open in full size.

I usually walk across it at this point haha

MEGAWORM!!! I wear a size 11 shoe for reference

And here it is, 36 hours later, essentially back to normal. 2' stage and 19 cfs

Gravel bar in the middle is new ( it also made a shelf under the bridge that very fussy carp were tailing on last night )

Normal crossing point if Im doing the short loop ( 4 miles instead of 5 )

Fishes coming in a couple hours, I PROMISE!!

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 04-23-2013, 10:10 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty amazing how much water you had in that creek in a short period of time!

Old 04-23-2013, 01:23 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Sooo the camera was still in my truck...so fish picture time!!!

Outside of the carp, the creek hasnt fully warmed up to full bore yet. So enjoy some sunfish pictures from a few nights ago and last night. Plus a random find last year late.

hmmmm...

In my refusal to ever be skunked fishing here, there are always these to stop that

pre-spawn fatties

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 04-23-2013, 04:27 PM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about

Did that 'worm' have any rattles?
Old 04-23-2013, 06:21 PM

No, but you shoulda seen it spin around like a top when my dog stepped on it haha.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-23-2013, 10:14 AM

my poor thread

I actually have good news to report though. This summer the creek was mostly blown out constantly from all the rain we thankfully had been getting. After that, some new construction going on upstream caused it to cloud up something fierce then it stopped raining, so it went from being promising to back into a crapshoot real quick.

There might have been one point in there that I fished it, actually I think there was, and I caught a new species for the creek, longear sunfish. Pretty little things to colorup the otherwise normal and boring bluegill and green sunfish.

This last week we got some much needed rain so it looked pretty good. Well I wanted some new fish for my aquarium and I had a new 2wt to try out, so down I went. I was there for an hour, the fish were alittle spooky but I caught probably 3 dozen sunfish of various sizes and types. Best fish which surprised the heck out of me, i was high sticking this rock trying to coax this little longear i saw swim under it and a green about 7-8" long came out and inhailed the fly. WHEEEEE!!! what fun on the 2wt that was, i tried to get a picture but he got free as my camera was coming on. oh well, such is life. But it was a good time, glad to see that it was doing well, and now there are 3 longears and 1 green fish who now will never have to worry about being eaten by something else or worrying about food hanging out in my aquarium.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-23-2013, 10:46 AM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

Very nice to see this thread have some life back in it! I did the same thing and had a little bluegill named Bubbles for years. They are so much fun to have! That fish was like a puppy. I never seen a pet so happy to see you when you got home! I could pet him and hand feed him. Bubbles is alive and well in the ponds I fish several years later. (The ponds were his original home and the landowner is a family member and was happy to have Bubbles. He goes out and feeds him.)
Old 09-23-2013, 11:19 AM

Yeah, i have currently in the aquarium, 3 longear sunfish, 1 green sunfish, 1 bluegill, 1 log perch and 1 rainbow trout. There were 2 bluegill in there but the one got huge and super aggressive, never have had them be that aggressive before, so he went back to where he came from and i added all these new guys. I need to go down in the next couple days and scoop up some minnows for food filter, they will all eat what the sunfish dont and theres a creek I want to try and get some madtoms from.
mcnerney likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher