The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 10:24 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adventures in a Storm Drain!!

A couple of places I fish locally are behind treatment plants. Surprisingly there's little competition.
In the area newspaper, there's been an ongoing conversation of a long gone chicken processing plant and how they used to dump the scrap right into the river. Supposedly the carp (the only survivors at the time) that hung out there were massive. In yesterday's issue one old gent said that when he was kid
to get to best spot, they're just cut right through the processing plant and pick up some bait along the way
Old 03-10-2012, 04:47 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Supposed to be close to 80* this coming week. I'll be there there probably wednesday.

this is how well i know the creek, tomorrow is rain most the day which will blow it out to completely unfishable, warm sunny monday and tuesday will allow for the water to clear and the fish to resettle. Wednesday its game on and the poo should have all dried up by then

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-15-2012, 09:37 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

So I fished it last night. Got there about 5:30 to find several carp tailing in the most difficult area of the hole to access with a fly rod. I tried casting at a couple cruisers out int he main area but no takers. One bad cast at a guy who was REAL shallow rooting some leaves and the whole group was done. Damn it. So then they were all cruising but looking aroudn still..ah they are still hungry. No takers on the nymphs, except a horny head chub in full spawn colors that was close to 9" long ( like i said,I will ALWAYS catch atleast one of these in there ), anyway. I decided if I wasnt going to catch a carp, I wasnt going to catch one on a big newly tied near nuff caryfish.

Thats when it got interesting, first fish i tossed it at came rushing over to see what it was, but something spooked it. the other fish were incredibly interested in it but wouldnt commit. Then it got straight up bizare. This hole is next to the bike trail. An older "gentlemen" rode passed me, turned around, got off his bike and procecided to pick up large sticks and chuck them into the water at my fly line. I said SERIOUSLY?!?! aloud to him which gathered no response. I was just about done fishing anyway so I started to pack up. As im walking back over to my rod tube and taking everything apart, he is still throwing sticks at me, at which point i get irritated and heave a couple of rocks back in his general direction. this stopped the sticks to me, but he watched me til i walked off, then he got back on his bike and rode off. Interesting. I also use the term "gentlemen" because this a**clown was easily 55-60 years old. Whatever.....

So until next time, I didnt take any pictures of the chub since I hate them but I'll get bck on the sunfish soon here. Im going to fish another creek this weekend, I dont think it will be as storm drainy but its thru a city so we shall see!!!

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-15-2012, 10:17 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

What an interesting outing! The aerial assault is probably the best part... how strange. Gotta love blowing a cast and spooking the entire school, at least it makes for good footage!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-15-2012, 10:50 AM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

Gotta love people like that. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've got into it with people who started throwing rocks, etc. right where I was fishing.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:34 PM

i dont care if its little kids who do it or if the people didnt see me. This guy knew better and i was no further then 40-50' away from him in the clear open. maybe i'll see him again on my walk this afternoon. I'll spoke his bike hahaha. not really though

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-15-2012, 05:13 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

I've had a guy blatantly instruct his kids to throw rocks right beside me while in plain view. Then, he joined in. I had a few choice words with him away from the ears of children.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:04 PM

bucktail will become famous soon enoughbucktail will become famous soon enough

Holy lord you have quite an even temper I salute you sir. If somthing like that ever happend to me I would honstly loose it even reading that was too much. Sounds like you have one heck of a spot though I cant wait to hear more reports!
hailfly likes this.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:40 AM

Well I figured it wasnt anything to get overly workedup with since I was getting ready to leave anyway. HOWEVER, if I had just shown up and that happened there would have been much more anger displayed, but yeah know,....these things happen.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-16-2012, 10:41 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

I ride bikes and I think spoking his ride would have been a good idea. Good wheels are expensive. You might also kick the rear gear changer while you are at it. The fella might think twice before doing that again if it cost him 4 or 5 hundred dollars.