The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree72Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 11:04 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Adventures in a Storm Drain!!

Man there is some hostile folks here hahahaha. i wasnt expecting THAT kind of reaction. BTW - I had my rear derailer hanger break once on me while on a trail, that really sucked.

Moving on......its been raining alot here the past 18 hours, so Im not to sure how good the fishing will be this weekend. I think Sunday im going to try a new place all together that used to have smallies and rainbows in it at one point and time...if nothing else maybe I will catch some new sunfish for my aquarium

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-17-2012, 06:50 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

On yesterday's walk with the dogs I was amazed how the creek wasnt terribly blown out or off color. It was high, more current then normal and stained, but not bad. So after the walk I went back and fished for an hour and a half. There were some young kids on the other side when I got there fishing with hotdogs. one kid had broken his line off and not brought spare hooks. They asked if I had any extra and long story short I ended up tying a bluegill spider on the kids pole and he was amazed the fish would eat just that. To which he then procced to catch a very nice green sunfish with. he was pretty pumped.

Back to me, fish were minimal. i didnt take many pictures of them since they were all mostly 3-4" green sunfish. The big guys were all hiding. I missed the bass a couple times ( damn ) and caught some nice spawning colored horny head chub - figures. i did take a picture of one for giggles,

Click the image to open in full size.

its biggish and ugly. Caught two like that. So thats where I am today, might go fish today AND tomorrow at different places. We'll see.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-17-2012, 07:12 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz View Post
I ride bikes and I think spoking his ride would have been a good idea. Good wheels are expensive. You might also kick the rear gear changer while you are at it. The fella might think twice before doing that again if it cost him 4 or 5 hundred dollars.
"Spoking", or outright kicking his derailuer may earn you a menacing, destruction of property, harrassment, or even an assault charge, and a weanie like that is likely to pursue such.... on the OTHER hand, if you were to bump nto the bike and fall over it because you were delirious or dizzy from either dodging or being hit by a stick, the courts, or jury or peers would look much differently upon the circumstances.....

Either way, the AH deserves it.......

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 03-20-2012, 08:26 PM

So I fished it again on Monday. To tell you a small story about this, i wish I would have went and got pictures. Saturday it rained HARD for the better part of the day and we got over an inch of rain. The creek is normally staging at alittle under 2 feet. Saturday Afternoon it was up to 14 feet!! hahaha The trail my dogs and I normally walk was well underwater and sunday morning was coated with a nice thin goo of stinky creek mud. lovely.

Monday night while walking something said fish me, so I came back and did. Nothing spectacular, biggest green sunfish from there so far this year, which will soon turn to average size. I had a male chub in full breeding get up NAIL a clouser minnow, I thought it was a bass at first. So on to two little photos.

Its amazing to see the little things in a storm drain

pete a likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-21-2012, 10:36 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Does it make me strange if I really like the sunfish picture?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-21-2012, 10:38 AM

no...heres some from last year as to what to expect in the coming months

So the question is now, do you like the sunfish or my jazzy color changing reel :P
pete a likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-21-2012, 10:49 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I like how in the first photo, the colors of the reel parallel the colors of the sunfish. I really need to stop reading this forum, now I want to go hit my local storm drain and target some urban golden bones...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-21-2012, 05:23 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
I like how in the first photo, the colors of the reel parallel the colors of the sunfish. I really need to stop reading this forum, now I want to go hit my local storm drain and target some urban golden bones...
We are cleaning out the septic tank next week and afterwards have considered putting some tilapia in there...This fall it should be game on.

Dave
theboz likes this.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:06 PM

Here's the quick storm drain update from my end: carp weren't so interested, likely due to the massive size of the tippet. I just threw a random leader on to try out the new reel on the Xa 8wt just for kicks, since the reel is spooled with Beulah Elixir 5/6 Switch line... Great way to get a look at your backing to say the least! The fly is a buddy's shot at a "Trout Magnet" fly using chenille and a jig hook... I might just have to try it for real some day, it sure looks like a worm!
First panfish of the year incidentally, and figured given both the fare and the location, it was applicable here! Hopefully some carp are in my future, but that's an adventure for another day

Now Geoff, I demand more updates :O

Old 03-22-2012, 06:25 AM

Cant beat little sunfish, i caught two yesterday with a dip net that are about 1" long and in my aquarium now

Its going to be a couple days before any new updates on the storm drain. its going to be raining a bunch here so its going to get blow out pretty good for a few days. But once its clears up, I'll be down there, need to try at the carp again.

Storm Drain Bonefisher