The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 05:31 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Adventures in a Storm Drain!!

This thread is awesome. I love reading the updates on it because it reminds me of the little creeks I used to fish when I was a little kid. Well, (younger) kid.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:05 PM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about

Stl you ever come down south to Texas give me a call. Ive got a pond about a mile from me that my record count was 54 fish on the fly. I have a buddy who's record is 104. Believe it or not the hotter the summer the better the fishing down in my drainage creek.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:50 PM

vsyogi is on a distinguished road

This thread reminds me a lot of the canals I fish here in miami. You see random junk in these canals like stolen cars or old shopping carts. But let me tell you that those are the places where the biggest peacock bass hide around.
stl_geoff likes this.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:52 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I really want to get into those canals in Mia one of these days. Should be easier once we move to FL though haha

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-26-2012, 11:05 PM

You will love it trust me. Just be careful of where you go and what times you decide to fish. Oh and try to fish during or right after they open flood gates, with a sinking line and a weedless fly you would be surprised what will hit. I fished a canal in homestead that went out to biscayne bay and had snook destroy size 4 grey/white bendbacks.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:22 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Got to agree with that. Just came from the c-111 canal. Almost every visible cinder block, shopping cart and drain pipe had a pair of peacocks on it. Very exciting sight casting . Keep on casting until they take and catch the male. Release him and catch his mate . Amazing fishery. Grass carp , monster gills, tilapia , cichlids, tarpon, jacks, snook all in the same canal. And all willing to hit a Clouser. Amazing!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-26-2012, 11:44 PM

I havent fished that canal yet, so im guessing its worth going down and checking it out?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:54 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

First time for me but definitely not the last . Had a sore casting arm at the end of the day but a never ending smile. So many cooperative fish plus gators , iguanas , tegus , backyard pitbulls and a crowd of homeless guys sleeping under the bridges to cheer us on as well. Totally fun and unique fishing experience. As beautiful as the bonefish , tarpon and permit flats just south of here are this will be my first stop every time.
vsyogi likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-27-2012, 10:25 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

No more FL talk....its depressing me. hahaha.

Temps have been good and the water has been flowing well, i have been catching lots of smaller green sunfish and chub. Two schools or carp skunked me, but its ok. There is always next time.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-29-2012, 08:35 PM

Went down tonight since when I was walking the dogs I saw a BIG carp tailing. When I got down to the creek, it was still flopping his tail about. I botched it. I lined the fish with a cast that shot ALITTLE too far out and my leader touched him...SPOOK! Dang it.....so I stood in the brush up above the hole for alittle but and noticed another fish tailing. First cast was too far in front of the fish. Second cast it took off after my fly like a tank. A fews trips and some sucking lips I thought I had the fish...turns out I didnt...SPOOKED!! well damn. I botched it good today. Gonna go scout some new locatiosn further down the creek this weekend if I can find the time.
vsyogi likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher