The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree72Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 08:54 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Adventures in a Storm Drain!! - 4 time update on 5-14!!!

I have touched many. Still need to touch a grass carp but im working on it.

Creek is up at 2400 cfs now and 12.4 ft and still climbing.....

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-08-2012, 09:05 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Adventures in a Storm Drain!!

it is a storm drain after all. Im hoping this rain here in KY, will get teh fish more active this week.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:36 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Yalp, peaked at 15ft and almost 4000 cfs. As of this morning its at 3.5 ft and 29 cfs. Should be fishable in a day or two

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-14-2012, 03:46 PM

Went out this morning to give it a whirl. I didnt get much interest then on a mulberry fly I got a nice carp on the first cast with it. After its 4 or 5th run, the most unfortuniate thing happened, the line made a funny twing then came gracefully floating back to me. Bummer, I dont know what happened but the fish thru the hook.

So I tried to see if I could coax out any more and all I got was a snapping turtle with a shell the size of a dinner plate. Advantage to using barbless hooks, with some careful use of a broken forked stick, I was able to to easily push the fly out of the turtle and let it go on its way. So it was only a semi succesful day, but I will try again.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-19-2012, 11:35 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

Love this! I am glad I am not the only one that will bust out the fly rod when ever I come across a body of water slightly larger than a puddle!
Old 09-02-2012, 07:50 PM

if anyone still cares about this. 4 updates in one post.

1st. Incase you lived in one of the few states that wasnt in the drought this summer, we were/possibly still are in one hell of a drought. How dry you ask? So dry the left overs of Hurricane Issac was here friday and saturday, we got over 5" of rain. The creek barely rose a foot. Usually a rain like this will cause it to go up to 9-10ft or more. it never broke 3' this whole time. its DRY.

2nd. because of the drought, water levels are LOW an temps are HIGH. Some places, there was 10-30ft of dry creek bed between pools. Then couple the water temps to the 90's, its a bad deal for the fishes. So i left them alone.

3rd. About a month or so ago when walkin the dogs I noticed what appeared to be heavy fishing line out across a hole i havent figured out the carp in yet. After coming back to investigate it, they were some trought lines some clown had left. In MO to fish with them, you have to leave copies of license with name and address on them, otherwise its time to fine you. So i decide to cut them down and throw them away. The one was all tangled in some branches, got it all clean. The next was across the hole in a big tree branch. I keep pulling and pulling gaining not much. after pulling a few times i noticed a snapping turtle come up and didnt think much of it. After a couple more pulls i feel that im just going to cut it and let it sink...one last pull i notice the turtle comes back. hmm...oh damn it. The stinking turtle was caught on the other end. After a long struggle, breaking some branches and some 30+ lb line cutting my hands up, i had the line free and a ~5ln snapping turtle hissing at me. It had swallowed the hook so I cut the line as close to its mouth as I could and off it went. I see the turtle every morning walk i take in that area now.

4th. Last weekend I went out to go after some carp, had one very interested but something last minute spooked it. So I went after the main group of feeders. As I was being quiet and minding my own business, a random guy and I had this conversation
DB - *insert ignorant tree hugger voice* "You know its a $250 fine for doing what you're doing down there?"
Me - " yeah I dont care what you to tell me"
DB - "well Im going to go call a ranger"
Me - " good luck with that. i know them all anyway"

The yelling of the d-bag was loud enough to disrupt the fish and they all shot off with big wakes. So hole busted. So back to the car I go. yesterday I had a ncie conversation with a ranger at the park. This was just some random dude being a d-bag and was probably offended I was trying to catch fish. He said that they dont patrol the creek, since its all state property, not part of the county parks. he asked if there is conservation signs up, nope, there sure isnt. After a couple minutes of small talk and some laughs, he told me hes going to look into it since he didnt know any thing that said no or yes, then he said until a sign comes up, knock yourself out and keep doing what ya do. haha. So yeah, ranger is on my side.

The adventure continues, I need to get a fish fix soon so i'll porbably go down in search of sunfish just to catch a couple.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-09-2012, 10:36 AM

coldwater55 is on a distinguished road

Execellant adventures and posts.I look forward to here more.The drought has been terrible here in Nebr too.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:53 AM

cjhj11 is on a distinguished road

That's one great carp you got there, what a good way to start the sumer full of adventures.
Please, keep us updated. We want to hear more from you.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:01 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

We're starting to see rain out our way, how's it going on your end Geoff? Has the stormdrain urban golden bone run started for the fall yet?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-11-2012, 03:09 PM

Well we've gotten more rain in the first two weeks of Septmeber then we have since May. We're up to about 6 or 7" to add to the total, still about 6-7" LESS then what we would have normally gotten by this time of year. I havent been going after the golden bones much lately, been working on the house and starting to get ready for trout and fall smallies, something easier at this point and time.

There is one group of carp i am determined to catch one from but boy they are in a hard to reach spot. from the north if I drop down, i have zero casting room and poor visibility. if I approach from the south, they can see me from 100' away. I have figured my lines on were I can stalk into them, but I havent figured out what they are eating yet. more trial and error is needed.

Storm Drain Bonefisher