The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Warmwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Adventures in a Storm Drain!! (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/248862-adventures-storm-drain.html)

stl_geoff 03-07-2012 07:02 PM

Adventures in a Storm Drain!! - 4 time update on 5-14!!!

Im making this thread to chronical my foolish and scatter brained adventures in my home waters. This is about as home as home can get for me. Its 3 minutes from my driveway to fishing via pickup. I have bluegill, green sunfish, largemouth, chubs, carp and used to have bullhead in this creek. its not pretty or romantic AT ALL! There are signs up saying not to fish, swim or play because of possible sewer overflow and because of that there are culverts from the industrial park and roads draining into it. Never the less, fishes are in here and damn it Im gonna fish it. Since this is so close to home and in less then 2 months I'll have a newborn, expect this thread to have lots of updates.

SOOO Lets start it off right!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7055/6...49fb3e71_b.jpg

BAM!!!! First fish of the year on my 1 week old Sage vantage 8wt. Sweet! Then a few casts later, BAM!! Carp number 2!! I got foolish though and put too much pressure on it at the shore when trying to land him and he pulled the hook shank straight and fishing barbless flies, it was a goner, but I dove in trying to grab it but im no match for the slippery carp and their power. BUT! i touched it so that counts as two. Then a small stupid 4" chub which wouldnt be a trip to the creek if I didnt catch one. Water wasnt cold, but surely wasnt normal temps as my hands and feet can attest but the carp we feeding and I got 2!!! So until next week or so, stay tuned for more Adventures in a Storm Drain!!!!

bucktail 03-07-2012 07:11 PM

Re: Adventures in a Storm Drain!!

Good work that carp is a pig. It finally warmed up here in Illinois and I managed my first carp of the year as well what a blast. BTW is it safe to say that when it came to sewage overflow you didn't give a ****?

stl_geoff 03-07-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucktail (Post 409937)
BTW is it safe to say that when it came to sewage overflow you didn't give a ****?

YUP!! :D haha. let me tell you something, i have been fishing in this creek for 12 years now and the signs went up a couple years ago, it has always been a possiblilty but now they have to post that it can happen. The way i see it is give it a couple days after a rain and flood, dont eat the fish and your golden.

gatortransplant 03-07-2012 08:10 PM

Nice pun there, Bucktail, and quite the hefty carp, Geoff! Will definitely be keeping track of the adventures!

mcnerney 03-07-2012 08:12 PM

stl_geoff: Awesome Carp, congrats! If there is raw sewage in that water I'd definitely think twice about jumping in after a Carp that straightened a hook, just be safe out there.

littledavid123 03-07-2012 08:26 PM

I wouldn't worry about the raw sewage, the radiation leak causing the warm water will kill any bacteria present. :D

So how do you like the new rod???

Dave

ted4887 03-07-2012 08:55 PM

That cork won't be nearly as shiny and new looking after a few carp outings in the local poo stream. Love it though!

chuck s 03-07-2012 09:44 PM

Sewage drain and Catch and Release, a match made in heaven!:frogdance Nice fish and a great first outing with a new rod.:cool:

caseywise 03-07-2012 09:53 PM

stl,
nice carp you got there, and on a new rig:cool:. i'll bet by the end of the summer that cork is gonna be a bit darker:p
sounds like a fun day:)

casey

jhammer 03-07-2012 10:14 PM

That's a good looking carp! I can't wait to get into some!

Speaking of storm drain creeks, we used to have one a couple blocks from my old house. It was a pretty fun place to fish and explore. It was really small too. If you had a 9 foot rod, you could touch the other side of the pool. I spent many afternoons there harassing teeny, tiny sunfish, chubs, baby carp, and bullheads.