The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree87Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 07:02 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Adventures in a Storm Drain!! - 4 time update on 5-14!!!

Im making this thread to chronical my foolish and scatter brained adventures in my home waters. This is about as home as home can get for me. Its 3 minutes from my driveway to fishing via pickup. I have bluegill, green sunfish, largemouth, chubs, carp and used to have bullhead in this creek. its not pretty or romantic AT ALL! There are signs up saying not to fish, swim or play because of possible sewer overflow and because of that there are culverts from the industrial park and roads draining into it. Never the less, fishes are in here and damn it Im gonna fish it. Since this is so close to home and in less then 2 months I'll have a newborn, expect this thread to have lots of updates.

SOOO Lets start it off right!

Click the image to open in full size.

BAM!!!! First fish of the year on my 1 week old Sage vantage 8wt. Sweet! Then a few casts later, BAM!! Carp number 2!! I got foolish though and put too much pressure on it at the shore when trying to land him and he pulled the hook shank straight and fishing barbless flies, it was a goner, but I dove in trying to grab it but im no match for the slippery carp and their power. BUT! i touched it so that counts as two. Then a small stupid 4" chub which wouldnt be a trip to the creek if I didnt catch one. Water wasnt cold, but surely wasnt normal temps as my hands and feet can attest but the carp we feeding and I got 2!!! So until next week or so, stay tuned for more Adventures in a Storm Drain!!!!

Storm Drain Bonefisher

Last edited by stl_geoff; 05-14-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:11 PM

bucktail will become famous soon enoughbucktail will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Adventures in a Storm Drain!!

Good work that carp is a pig. It finally warmed up here in Illinois and I managed my first carp of the year as well what a blast. BTW is it safe to say that when it came to sewage overflow you didn't give a ****?
Old 03-07-2012, 07:40 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucktail View Post
BTW is it safe to say that when it came to sewage overflow you didn't give a ****?
YUP!! haha. let me tell you something, i have been fishing in this creek for 12 years now and the signs went up a couple years ago, it has always been a possiblilty but now they have to post that it can happen. The way i see it is give it a couple days after a rain and flood, dont eat the fish and your golden.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-07-2012, 08:10 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Nice pun there, Bucktail, and quite the hefty carp, Geoff! Will definitely be keeping track of the adventures!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

stl_geoff: Awesome Carp, congrats! If there is raw sewage in that water I'd definitely think twice about jumping in after a Carp that straightened a hook, just be safe out there.
Kerry Pitt likes this.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:26 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't worry about the raw sewage, the radiation leak causing the warm water will kill any bacteria present.

So how do you like the new rod???

Dave
45fisher likes this.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:55 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

That cork won't be nearly as shiny and new looking after a few carp outings in the local poo stream. Love it though!
Old 03-07-2012, 09:44 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice
Cool Re: Adventures in a Storm Drain!!

Sewage drain and Catch and Release, a match made in heaven! Nice fish and a great first outing with a new rod.
rubberguy likes this.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 03-07-2012, 09:53 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

stl,
nice carp you got there, and on a new rig. i'll bet by the end of the summer that cork is gonna be a bit darker
sounds like a fun day

casey

ARFE
Old 03-07-2012, 10:14 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

That's a good looking carp! I can't wait to get into some!

Speaking of storm drain creeks, we used to have one a couple blocks from my old house. It was a pretty fun place to fish and explore. It was really small too. If you had a 9 foot rod, you could touch the other side of the pool. I spent many afternoons there harassing teeny, tiny sunfish, chubs, baby carp, and bullheads.