The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 07:00 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice
Default Spring is Here - A Trip Report

Spring is in the air here in central Texas. The trees are starting to put out leaves, the first of the wild flowers are coming up and the fish, well they are getting hungry.
Last weekend was beautiful - highs around 80 degrees, partly sunny and for once the wind wasn't too bad. Me and two friends grabbed the kayaks and hit the river to see what we could find.
It ended up being my best day since starting fly fishing right at a year ago.

Fishing started out good from the beginning now that the water is warming up.
First good fish of the day was a white.
Click the image to open in full size.

Soon the first good bass.

I came up to a spot that can hold good fish but hadn't all winter. I make the cast and the rod bends over. After a great fight I pull her up.

These were on my new, since Christmas, TFO 5wt.
I figured between Bob and Lefty you can't go wrong.

A sign of Spring -

And the blackberries are blooming -

And the fish were biting -
For this girl I'd switched over to my 8wt so I could throw some articulated stuff I've been tying. This one was a variation of the Circus Peanut.

Here is the veiw from my old beat up kayak. I should get a new one but have too many good memories and it does everything I need.

Here is an interesting bass. It's a Guadalupe bass crossed with the Smallmouth. In the late 70's and early 80's the Texas Parks and Wildlife stocked large numbers of Smallmouth in the rivers and lakes to "improve" our fisheries. Little forethough went into it and it turns out that the Guads and Smallmouths interbreed. Now on my river, the Colorado (Texas Colorado), as most rivers that had Guadalupes there are no true Guads or Smallmouths, just hybrids. They are a very sporty fish, bigger than the true Guads with my biggest being around 19" and lots of 16"ers to fight in the current. They are a beautiful fish.

Towards the end of the day I caught one more nice one in an unsuspecting place. That's the Circus Peanut in her mouth.

Early in the day as we came around a bend and were flushing birds from the trees we had a Bald Eagle fly over about 40 feet above our heads. Latter in the day one flew right over me and I was able to grab the camera from my pocket in just in time.

Just 7-8 years ago you would not have seen one. This year we've had a confirmed nesting site. This kind of thing is really why I go to the river.

Sorry for all the photos, I guess I'm a visual type of person.
No photos of my buddys, they are still conventional fisherman. Maybe not long though, I've finally gotten to the point where I can out fish them with the fly.
It was a great day all around, about 30 fish in 10 hours covering 12 miles.

Thanks for reading,
David

Old 03-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spring is Here - A Trip Report

Dave: Great trip report, thanks for sharing! Looks like you had a great day on the water!

Larry

Larry
Old 03-07-2012, 09:06 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

Agreed! Thanks for sharing! I'm all wound up and ready to fish now! We had a beautiful day here. It was almost 70 degrees....And my fishing plans fell through....
Old 03-07-2012, 09:21 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Thanks for sharing the pics with us!

Not quite spring here yet but it's close. We had snow Monday morning, but it was 70º here today.
Still some freezing temperatures ahead, but hopefully no prolonged cold spells.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:27 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

David, that looks like a great trip out! That hybrid bass is particularly neat, but no complaints with the number of good-sized largemouths and white bass!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-07-2012, 09:29 PM

bucktail will become famous soon enoughbucktail will become famous soon enough

Great report those are some pigs. I cant wait to hook into some tanks like those!!
Old 03-07-2012, 09:45 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

great report david!
looks like you had a great time with some nice fish

casey

ARFE
Old 03-08-2012, 07:38 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Great job! I had my first yak trip of the season yesterday, it's not 80 degrees here yet but I can feel it coming.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:35 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

looks like fun!! im going to try to find the white bass schools on a local river this year i think. they are usually in the same spot and my dad always finds em first.

Storm Drain Bonefisher