The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By swirlchaser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 07:35 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default First paddle out of the season

The weather report called for 60 degrees and reports of Striped Bass in the bay had visions of sugar plums dancing in my head, then came the wind. 15mph with gusts over 20, the salt was out of the question so I decided to launch in a local lake. Not a fish to be seen but boy did it feel good to be back in the yak.

Bend, bend, please bend...
Click the image to open in full size.

The only creature who chose to visit me yesterday. You know what I tied on after this visit
bluedaksi likes this.

Last edited by swirlchaser; 03-08-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:48 PM

bucktail will become famous soon enoughbucktail will become famous soon enough
Default Re: First paddle out of the season

Cool report it's good to see other kayak fisherman I have a nice little yak myself I dropp in the local river all summer I plan on adding some stabilizers so I can stand and sight fish. We have also had some mega winds along with this new heat here in Illinois so I have yet to drop it in yet but with in a few weeks here I will.

Tight Lines, Bucktail
Old 03-08-2012, 04:02 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Swirlchaser: I can only imagine how good it felt to get out on the water, congrats! I'm at 7,000 ft so everything here is still frozen solid with about 12" of snow on the ground. With this warming trend the snow will be melting fast, I'm planning on hitting one of the local tailwaters this weekend, its just too nice to stay indoors.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:23 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucktail View Post
Cool report it's good to see other kayak fisherman I have a nice little yak myself I dropp in the local river all summer I plan on adding some stabilizers so I can stand and sight fish. We have also had some mega winds along with this new heat here in Illinois so I have yet to drop it in yet but with in a few weeks here I will.

Tight Lines, Bucktail
Thanks, I had a set of stabilizers but I didn't get enough use out of them. Don't do much sight fishing and they got in my way so I sold them to a buddy of mine. Look forward to seeing your reports.

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Swirlchaser: I can only imagine how good it felt to get out on the water, congrats! I'm at 7,000 ft so everything here is still frozen solid with about 12" of snow on the ground. With this warming trend the snow will be melting fast, I'm planning on hitting one of the local tailwaters this weekend, its just too nice to stay indoors.
Thanks Larry,
I'm itching to get into the saltwater but the sweet will have to do until the winds lay down. Good luck in those tailwaters.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:47 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

It's these type of reports that really kill me during our long winters here in Minnesota. Glad to see someone is getting some paddling in though! Hopefully you're next trip will net you a few fish.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:00 PM

bluedaksi will become famous soon enoughbluedaksi will become famous soon enough

Nice! I've been out a few times already, but with some mixed success - caught a couple of 20"+ brown trout the other day, but no bass, and nothing on a fly yet, though I've tried... The water is still below 40 degrees up here.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaksi View Post
Nice! I've been out a few times already, but with some mixed success - caught a couple of 20"+ brown trout the other day, but no bass, and nothing on a fly yet, though I've tried... The water is still below 40 degrees up here.
Keep at it. Catching fish on the fly from the yak is tons of fun, landing them takes a little practice though
Old 03-23-2012, 09:54 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Finally got out last weekend. Paddle season is here in MN now too!