The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 07:44 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default warm weather and a new rod

Got a new Echo Solo 8'6" 4wt rod (& matching Echo Solo 4/5 reel) Saturday and had a nice warm day today.
They stocked the local lake with rainbow trout last Friday, so I decided to end work early today and test the new outfit. (One huge advantage of being self-employed)

The water was still very muddy from the recent rains, and the wind limited casting to short distance roll casts (up to about 30'), so I decided to cheat a bit and use flies with some scent attraction (#14 hook with a waxworm ) below a strike indicator.

Managed to catch a few 'gills, a nice crappie, and a few trout (10-12"). The new rod seems to do a very respectable job of roll casting, and lets the smaller fish still provide some fun. The 3wt glass rod is still my favorite for "panfish", but the longer 4wt is by far the best for those windy days like today.

Released all the 'gills & crappie, but the trout came home with me. They are stocked to attract people to fish and cannot live in the water temperatures of the shallow lake in the summer, so I figure I may as well enjoy a good meal or two.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:04 PM

bucktail will become famous soon enoughbucktail will become famous soon enough
Default Re: warm weather and a new rod

Cool report I plan on snagging myself a 3 or 4 weight soon I need somthing othe rthan a nine foot 5 weight for creeks....
Old 03-14-2012, 12:13 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice
Default Re: warm weather and a new rod

I used to do about the same at Hammertown and Dow although some trout do make it over in Dow due to the depth I'm told. Sure makes for a great spring outing. Glad to hear you caught a few. For those who don't know, other than a few good streams here and there in Ohio, ODNR stocks trout in several lakes for a few days of spring fishing each year and as was said they aren't expected to live through the summer heat but a few do in the cooler/deeper lakes. Congrats on that new outfit!
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/