The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jhammer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 09:33 AM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about
Default It's bluegill time

I was out at the ponds yesterday and had another one of those days. The kind of day where bluegill crush a fly as soon as it hits the water. So far, the 2wt has become my favorite rod for pond fishing. They've been hitting topwater like no tomorrow, with foam spiders being the ultimate fly. Black, yellow, and chartreuse being the best colors.

I caught a boatload of these guys yesterday.

Click the image to open in full size.
Rip Tide and caseywise like this.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:47 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: It's bluegill time

I need to go explore some ponds and see whats happening in them. I also need to find some little baby ones around an 1" for my aquarium. They are great fishes.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-20-2012, 08:18 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I've got to hit a couple local ponds that hold some big 'gills soon. Temps in the low 90s today and I had to work.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:00 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

hit my local lake today and caught a dozen gills and a couple lmb. it's been unseasonably warm here the past week, so the fish are getting active
i'll probably try again tomorrow and maybe snap a few pics.

casey

ARFE
Old 04-03-2012, 08:25 PM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough

Congrat's man sound's like you have a blast. In NJ (Lakes I fish) the Gill's been mostly hitting the pheasant tail nymph's #16 for the best few day's. They haven't been hitting the dry flies (5 total) even when the weather was in the lower 70's.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:03 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Very nice! I actually just bought a bunch of closed cell foam to start tying some foam spiders and other insects.

Just out of curiosity, and considering most of those little local ponds have some sort of bass population, have you hooked into any largemouth on that two weight??
Old 04-04-2012, 02:37 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

Yes, I have. I haven't hooked into any of the huge bass in there, but I've caught a few smaller ones and they put a nice bend into the rod. The crappie get pretty good-sized there too.