The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 04:55 PM

colin272 is on a distinguished road
Default Carp and catfish flies

Hey guys need some advise again. I have this same pond by my house that i talk about. I was fishing the other day and I saw one big grass carp and a couple catfish. I caught an 8lbs catfish last year on a woolybugar. I couldn't get them to bite on anything. So I am looking for some new ideas. I tried a number 10 bedhead woolybugar, a couple different nymphs, and a couple different dry flies. I couldnt even get them to look at anything I threw. I unfortunately cant really afford to go out and buy a new rod so what ever I am throwing I have to throw my 6 weight will have to handle. Thanks for the help
Old 03-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Carp and catfish flies

The main thing is you want it on the bottom. Weight is important, but having the hook point up is more important.

The Backstabber is a good option- Colorado Fly Fishing Reports: Backstabber Fly (Step by Step)

A black Redneck Rabbit also works well- http://www.grandrivertroutfitters.co...d/Redneck2.pdf

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:25 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

GLOW BUGS....in yellow. Works every time and on all carp

Click the image to open in full size.

Long leaders.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:39 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Glow bugs like egg patterns or something else?
Old 03-28-2012, 04:51 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Like eggs. Yellow, sparkly is nice and a white soft hackle collar helps.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:16 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice

For catfish, I've caught quite a few lately on clousers. They were most likely feeding on baitfish at the time and my minnow looking bait swam by. Green and white, but what will a green/white clouser not catch.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:18 PM

I am counting on that baby for the Wipers riverbilly as well as Yellow and White plus Gray and white Clousers.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:50 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Joni, I may be borrowing that glow bug idea for carp, never thought to try an egg pattern...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-28-2012, 09:09 PM

bucktail will become famous soon enoughbucktail will become famous soon enough

I mainly sight fish for carp I look for ones that are feeding face in the mud tail sticking up and I must say the two most productive flies for me have been the wooly worm and "mikes carp candy" I strongly suggest checking out missouriflies.com I tye my own now but I orderd from them recently and They are awsome I emailed back and forth discussing what I wanted and what I was looking for and they nailed it with quality ties. I suggest emailing the guy even if you dont plan on buying due to his knowladge. Just my thoughts.

Tight Lines,
Bucktail
Old 03-28-2012, 09:45 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

I've caught many cats and carp on Woolly Buggers, MudBugs, DDH Leeches, and Kat Killers. I posted some pictures of the Kat Killers on the forum a while back. They're very easy to tie, effective, and it doesn't break your heart when you lose one to the bottom.

For Buggers, I've had great luck with rust brown, black, and olive.