The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 09:33 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Broke in a new rod and removed a skunk

I fished somewhere else today that WASNT my storm drain!! haha. There are some lakes kinda close to me and I have fished them kinda sorta half assed a couple of times and never really had any luck. Well Sunday i went to a creek and tried out my new Sage bass rod but it was too high from saturdays rain and off color. So the rod started with a slight skunk...not good.

So off to these ponds, never caught much but there is always little bass patrolling the shore and bluegill so hey why not. Tied on a clouser minnow i have that i wanted to look like a bluegill,

Click the image to open in full size.

^^This, and started chucking it alone the banks with short strips. Well the little bass were all over it. First 3 fish wiggled off ( its barbless...bah ) but I finally brought one to hand,

YAY! No more skunks, So i walked around the lake, catching a few more and most of them flopping off, i had one that would have been close to the legal 12" length buuuuut it flopped off again. All in all a good day, I spent alittle over an hour there and caught 6 fish so i cant complain. Here's another dink bass

Then it hit me on the drive back home, in the past 5 days, I've gone fishing 4 times. Most excellent.
Hardyreels and peregrines like this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-20-2012, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Broke in a new rod and removed a skunk

Very good indeed, you have a nice set of rod & reel there too my friend. I have a new one on the way, I managed to scrape up a 1968 orvis 6'6" full flex glass rod for a #6 line in 'as new' condition. I'm looking very much forward to it getting here.

Nice,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-20-2012, 11:46 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

A great day and story, would imagine those bass were a hoot to catch.

Dave
Old 03-21-2012, 01:22 AM

haulingmario is on a distinguished road

That was a good day fishing.I have the same Sage Bass 230 rod, really enjoy it too and its perfect for the average bass and I love how you can throw big flies all day and don't get tired cause it's light.I just need to keep practicing my casts and waiting to go fishing this year and get my first fish on a fly rod.How far were you casting out?
Old 03-21-2012, 07:29 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

thanks all. I was casting MAYBE 10' off the shore, but throwing it ~20' down the shore, then striping it in parallel with the bank. The bass were hitting it very aggressively.

Some advise for those who want to line these 230 bass rods, mine didnt come with any line ( Ard, this might help you ) and I found out you can not buy the bass line unless you buy the rod and it has it with it. So we ordered the Rio Outbound WF6-F and honestly I think it works better on this rod then the Bass line they come with. You can chuck some serious flies without even noticing them. I made some guys that were at the lake irritated when I showed up. The were there the whole time I was an 1 guy caught two fish, I had my first 3 right off the bat and they seem very confused/kinda laughed at the fact I had a fly rod.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-21-2012, 09:42 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Geoff: Congrats, that looks like a great way to break in a new rod!

Old 03-21-2012, 11:17 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Nice work Geoff, gotta love finally working the fish slime into new cork!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-26-2012, 08:45 PM

bucktail will become famous soon enoughbucktail will become famous soon enough

I loved that clouser pattern you had there I tied my own and slammed some largemouth with it! Just thought Id let you know
Old 03-27-2012, 10:23 AM

Glad it worked for ya. I need to tie some more and fix that one, its getting kinda beat up. I used it last night and this was first cast result, more fish goo in the new cork.

this one was larger then the others, about 10"

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-27-2012, 01:49 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Good to see the results coming in, Geoff! I put the matching Trout reel in red 3/4 on my 2wt, love that red!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...