The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Warmwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   More than than you can shake a stick at... (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/254673-more-than-than-you-can-shake-stick.html)

jhammer 03-20-2012 10:17 PM

More than than you can shake a stick at...

I went out to the ponds yet again today for some more fishing. Not until now did I realize that I've been out almost every day since we've had great weather. Of course, there's nothing wrong with that. ;)

I took the 2wt out again and tied on a small size 10 black zonker and landed a nice crappie. I figure I would have had a couple more because I got a little too carried away with my Bill Dance hook sets. (I was excited to be out.) I love my 2wt dearly, but I found out today that she does not like weight. Even with the little zonker. Once the rabbit soaked up some water, the rod started clouser kicking. After nearly giving myself a free ear-piercing, I put on a size 10 chartreuse foam spider. Then, the bluegill started hitting like mad. I don't even remember how many I caught. I also had a HUGE bass hammer the bug and nearly had a heart attack when I seen it jump. And of course, it spit the hook. :(

This pond has a few gigantic grass carp in it too. I thought I would cast by where it was rooting around. I didn't think it would do any good. Sure enough, this giant head and mouth came racing towards my spider. Stupidly, I pulled the hook away too soon. I was disappointed, yet relieved at the same time because I don't think I had a snowball's chance of landing that beast. The 8wt will be coming next time. ;)

Anyway, I leave you folks with a couple of pictures from the day. Enjoy! :punk:

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/...0320021734.jpg

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/...0320021701.jpg

stl_geoff 03-21-2012 06:31 AM

Re: More than than you can shake a stick at...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhammer (Post 417968)
This pond has a few gigantic grass carp in it too. I thought I would cast by where it was rooting around. I didn't think it would do any good. Sure enough, this giant head and mouth came racing towards my spider. Stupidly, I pulled the hook away too soon. I was disappointed, yet relieved at the same time because I don't think I had a snowball's chance of landing that beast. The 8wt will be coming next time. ;)

Thats probably for the better. Honestly. First carp I caught on a fly rod was very big ( almost 30" ) and it was on a 5wt.......WAAAYYYY too small a rod for that. i'd feel bad for your poor 2wt.

mcnerney 03-21-2012 08:31 AM

Yes, your 2 wt wouldn't stand a chance. Give it a try with your 8 wt, sounds like you have the correct pattern. I took the grandson (4 yr old) out the other day to a private pond with smallmouth bass and grass carp, but the owners don't want us fishing for the carp. They are fun to watch and extremely wary. We were using poppers after the bass and the carp just ignored those, but we had a great time with the bass even though it was a little slow.

jhammer 03-21-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stl_geoff (Post 418094)
Thats probably for the better. Honestly. First carp I caught on a fly rod was very big ( almost 30" ) and it was on a 5wt.......WAAAYYYY too small a rod for that. i'd feel bad for your poor 2wt.

I've got a couple in the 16-22" range, (I think they're in the pics section) and I felt way under powered even with my 6wt. My next "carp/cat" rod will be a TICR or BVK 7wt. For now, my 8wt handles with pretty good. Although, I have felt a little under powered with the 8wt at times too.

I think I'm giving myself excuses to get a 4wt too now. I keep wanting to tell myself that I need a rod to bridge the gap between 2wt and 6wt so I can have a light rod that will throw small streamers. :rolleyes:

stl_geoff 03-21-2012 01:33 PM

I was kinda mad, like 3-4 days after I bought my vantage 8wt I came across a vendor who had a TCX 9wt demo rod he was selling for $300 bucks....wish I would have bought that instead but oh well, the 8 I have does well enough. i like to use light tackle but an 8 is as light as Im willing to go with carp

Poke 'Em 03-21-2012 01:59 PM

I've caught several carp to 30" on my three weight. My brother's preferred rod for carp in the 20-25" range is a 6'6" two weight.

jhammer 03-21-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poke 'Em (Post 418311)
I've caught several carp to 30" on my three weight. My brother's preferred rod for carp in the 20-25" range is a 6'6" two weight.

I can't imagine the battle on a 2wt. I thought I was about done for when I had my 6wt out! :eek: