The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2007, 07:09 PM

Jim Sehorn is on a distinguished road
Question Lookin' for Georgia Info

Anyone have any recommendations for locations and flies for Oct bream, crappie and bass fishin' in Georgia? I'm a new fly fisherman and new to Georgia as well. Thanks for any help you can give.
Jim Sehorn
Old 10-04-2007, 12:57 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Lookin' for Georgia Info

Hi Jim,

No one has helped you out so I will see if maybe I can help you. You didn't say what part of Georgia so I don't know about locations. Check around and see if you can find a farm pond that someone will let you fish. Church members are good for this. Also check with your local fish and game office. Sometimes they can be a big help. I would also look in the phone book for any fishing clubs. You can check with FFF and Trout Unlimited to see if there is a club in your area.

As to flies I have shown a few representive fly types. I find for sun fish, especially blue gill that any thing with rubber legs is good. My favorite for Blue Gills, a size 12 or 14 wooly worm. Bass likes Popper sometimes and they are always chasing minnows. Wooly Buggers are always good and you should have a few with some flash and some with rubber legs. Warm water fish likes flies with some movement to them. I think that is why rubber legs are so good.

Frank

Minnow Imitation
Click the image to open in full size.

Rubber Legged Bugger

Poppers
Old 10-04-2007, 02:22 PM

steve l. johnson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lookin' for Georgia Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sehorn View Post
Anyone have any recommendations for locations and flies for Oct bream, crappie and bass fishin' in Georgia? I'm a new fly fisherman and new to Georgia as well. Thanks for any help you can give.
Jim Sehorn
Hello Jim: What part of Georgia do you live in or wish to travel to?

I myself live in North Ga, in the mountain areas, there are a few lakes and ponds that have a few bream, and some lakes have crappie even though I think crappie are more in the early spring in this area,

Try the lake at Vogel state park, and some of the other state parks that have lakes. The Nottely River is good along with the Toccoa River, the latter being a real good all-year trout stream, both are legal to fish at night, as is the open all year regulation.

All of the afore-mentioned lakes and rivers have a varied bass population of either smallmouth, hybrid's, or large mouth...a 9 lb -2oz. large-mouth was caught at Vogel State Park back in the summer, I seen the fish, it was caught by a 13 year old boy, using a plastic worm, but ti goes to show you the fish are there, being at the right place at the right time.

One thing to remember, we are in a drought condition up here and the streams and lake are all low, and we had about 3 weeks of record high temperatures, and the water is really warm it has affected fishing all the way around, so take these things in account and remember that the fish have a bad case of "lock-jaw"!...