The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By riverbilly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 06:10 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice
Default Catching some Species

After fly fishing now for about a year, one of my favorite things about it is that the fly doesn't discriminate.
This weekend proved it once again.

Largemouth Bass- on my craw that I posted in the "what are tying" thread
Click the image to open in full size.

Catfish -

The Guadalupe X Smallmouth

Gray Redhorse sucker -

The Clouser with black zonker strip has been one of my favorite flys lately.

Banded Water Snake -
I'm not scared of snakes really, but said favorite fly is stuck in the grapevine about three feet from the snakes face. I yanked and yanked, but they don't come out of that grapevine. I yanked still harder and the limb he is on is moving around, that should scare him off. No. My buddies are laughing at me now. One said "just poke him with you rod, he'll move". I poked him a couple time and he rears his head up about to strike at my rod tip. I want my fly back but now I've got the sucker agitated. I could have probably just reached up and grab it at the start and it wouldn't have minded. So I just keep yanking and the snake is swinging, finally my 12# fluorocarbon breaks.
Oh well, I'll tie some more.

River Crab -

Sunday afternoon I though I'd try out some small stuff.

Smallest fly I've tied, size 10. I really admirer you guys that can tie those small flys.

Thanks for letting me share.

-- David
Old 03-26-2012, 06:27 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default Re: Catching some Species

Looks like quite a variety you have available there!

I'd leave the snake alone, though. I've found they can have a bad attitude when disturbed. Those river crabs look to be a lot more docile.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the fishing! I don't like snakes so breaking off would have been the route I would have taken from the start!

Old 03-26-2012, 06:50 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

I can't wait until I can get into some catfish! Nice catch!
Old 03-26-2012, 08:41 PM

bucktail will become famous soon enoughbucktail will become famous soon enough

Thats a great report right there sir! I gotta say im pretty envious I have hooked every dang bass around me but nothing over 12 inches you seem to have a nack for the big boys keep it up!

Tight Lines,
Bucktail
Old 03-29-2012, 12:29 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Nice fish and variety . Is ther a name for that Guadaloupxsmallmouth hybrid?
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

What a bunch of fish David, nice report on your fishing there.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-29-2012, 01:13 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbilly View Post
The Guadalupe X Smallmouth
I've never seen one or been there, but are they a hybrid of something and smallmouth bass? Looks almost exactly like a spotted bass. Cool fishes!

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 03-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Great report with fat fish!
Old 03-29-2012, 04:48 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice

Thanks everybody for the replies. It was a fun day.

As for the Guadalupe X Smallmouth hybrid. In the late '70s until the mid -'80s the Texas Parks and Wildlife stocked smallmouth bass (which are not native to here) in central Texas rivers and lakes in hopes of giving fishermen another species to fish for. No research was done as to the consequences of this stocking. It turned out that the guadalupes and smallmouths interbreed. Now some 30 years later there are no true guadalupe bass left in most central Texas rivers, they are all hybrids.
The guadalupe bass are very threatened and the TPWD has programs to try and bring them back, including stocking them out of their native range in rivers that were not stocked with smallmouth and stocking pure guads to try and delute the smallmouth genes.
In my river, the Colorado, it's to late. There are just too many to ever go back.
With that said, they are a very sporty, beautiful fish and fun to catch. They top out at about 19" which is much larger than the average pure guadalupe.

They don't have a particular nick name, most people call them "Spots". Me and my buddies just call them "guad hybrids".
They originally evolved from some type of spotted bass about 10,000 years ago. Didn't take us long to screw it up.

Thanks again everybody. I'm doing another river camp this weekend, hopefully I'll have something to report.