The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bucktail
  • 1 Post By Didgeridoo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 01:48 PM

bucktail will become famous soon enoughbucktail will become famous soon enough
Default Cool fly from youtube

I watched this and thought I would share. Just thought it was a really cool fly I have no where the skill to tye somthing like this but thought it seemed like a winner.Enjoy.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:17 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cool fly from youtube

good lord....that looks like a GIANT pain in the ass with those dubbing loops. kinda depressing the tail is so stiff at the end in the water

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-30-2012, 04:20 PM

yea I would tie that and loose it on the first cast.....
grassonfly likes this.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty interesting way to tie that first dubbing loop and then doubling it over on itself.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:33 PM

Didgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to behold

Dang! That'd be a sick fly for bass!

or...

Tie it smaller and it'd be deadly for carp and trout!

Thanks for sharing that! I like that one.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:35 PM

flymark is on a distinguished road

I posted some flies I'd tied up that were inspired by Jay (the guy in the video) - and if you play with the amount of dubbing, and the type of thread, you can make some tails that are more supple. Remember though, that these flies are meant to imitate a plastic worm - and your average plastic worm isn't nearly as lively as say, a rabbit strip or gob of marabou. My favorite plastics when I gear fish are Yamamoto Senkos, and when rigged to look like these flies, they have a similar action.

Once you tie up a couple of these flies, or at least the type of tails - they're actually very quick to do. I will say this though - I don't do Jay's technique of using my fingers for the twisting. I cheat and use a shepherd's hook dubbing loop tool to do the spinning. I bang out a tail in just a couple minutes, and I can tie up a completed worm fly in 5 minutes or so.

The worms I tied up are more simple than these - I do a furled loop tail, a dubbing loop body to match the tail, and a few turns of soft hackle by the dumb bell eyes, and maybe a few turns of dubbing (simply twisted onto the thread) to cover the dumb bells center.

---------- Post added at 11:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 PM ----------

Rubber worm on a jig:

Click the image to open in full size.

Furled loop flies:

I have more tied up that I need to get pix of - some interesting color combos done with some sparkly ice dub material.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:41 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I would have to charge $24.99 plus material cost for those beasts!
I'm not sure I've seen so many materials and techniques used on a single fly outside of full dressed salmon flies.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:12 AM

I know right? The whole time I was watching I was thinking hes going to finish it off right here, But then he would do more dubbing or legs. I was sure he was going to run out of room mainly when he got to the last bit of dubbing but he kept finding room!!
Old 03-31-2012, 03:41 PM

flymark is on a distinguished road

There's a youtube video of some guys fishing for trout using the Gezus Lizards - some FAT trouts eating the things. And of course bass like 'em.

If spring ever actually arrives - I plan on giving my local bass hell in good measure with these worms - it's one less reason to pack a spinning rod. Now if I could just get myself to stick with a single rod for a day...