The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 07:59 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold
Default crappie and shellcracker.....two of my favorite

I had the itch to fish after 2 weeks of no fishing. Had a buddy offer to take me to one of his crappie spots. I only caught 2 smaller ones, mainly because I refused to put down the fly rod.

I stubbornly suffer through tough fishing with a fly rod when I could easily have picked up a jig and caught a lot more like my buddy. However, I feel that if every time it gets tough, I put down the fly rod, I won't learn. So, sometimes to my own demise, I keep casting the fly. It was difficult here because it was essentially a shallow stump field off of a main river. Stripping a clouser minnow through a stump field is asking to donate flies to the water, and I lost my fair share. But I wasn't skunked.
Click the image to open in full size.

Change of scenery for the afternoon. Went to a little creek that almost always has hungry fish. I had bought a new 7'6" 3wt (TFO Lefty Kreh Sig Series) that I wanted to break in. I went straight to my favorite hole and caught lots of bluegill, red breasted sunfish, and thought I hooked into a bass. Finally saw that it was this guy:

This pig of a shellcracker had been caught not too long ago in the exact same spot. However, now he was even bigger and a real thrill on a 3wt.

It was a good day. Maybe I'll fish again tomorrow.

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 03-31-2012, 08:04 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Re: crappie and shellcracker.....two of my favorite

What a fatty that second fish is.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:11 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

What a big shelly! They always fight like crazy!

Nice crappie too!
Old 04-01-2012, 07:18 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

That shellcracker looks downright plump!

I'll bet the 3wt had some bend in it with that fish on the end of the line.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:18 PM

bucktail will become famous soon enoughbucktail will become famous soon enough

I got to say I have been dying just like you because I have been fishing my spots where my modern gear could be catching fish I just refuse to put down the fly rod because I dont feel those fish would count anymore its painfull but I salute you!!
Old 04-01-2012, 03:03 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

One of the rare times that I use a floating strike indicator is in a situation like that.
What you want to do is tie up some marabou jig flies on the smallest jig head you can find. Hook size 8, 1/64oz, I think is right. You're going to need a bunch of different colors
Fish those under an good sized indicator and not too deep
Cast out.... let it sit.... give it a jiggle....let it sit.
Retrieve it closer.... do it again
Old 04-01-2012, 03:08 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

thats quite a shell for sure.
did you get him on the reel?

casey

ARFE
Old 04-01-2012, 06:37 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucktail View Post
......I just refuse to put down the fly rod because I dont feel those fish would count anymore.......
The way I feel exactly. I have caught so much on gear, now it's like starting all over. I can say you have to be an optimist to be a fly fisherman. You are usually working twice as hard to catch fish on the fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
thats quite a shell for sure.
did you get him on the reel?
Nope. But I did think it was one of the largemouth I was trying to catch at first!

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur