The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 02:14 PM

manotheskip is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Smallmouth!!!!!

Great report now...I'm from Philadelphia, wish I had read this last year while I was still in Philly, but now I live in LA...have NO IDEA where to fish for smallmouth in LA! Lots of lakes up north, but mostly largemouth I think...I will definitely try the neshaminy when I visit my home...
Old 04-17-2012, 02:31 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Guys! It's still going strong on the Neshaminy, although most of the smallmouth are in the 14-16 inch range now. I caught a Hickory Shad last week, and an 18" walleye at 7:30am today. I never caught a walleye before, and assumed it was a musky or pike....it had LONG TEETH! I took pictures of the fatter smallmouth and the shad, and used video for the walleye. I caught 3 nice smallmouth in 15 minutes yesterday afternoon, and just after I crossed the stream to get back to my Jeep, another rocketed out of the water. I crossed the stream, and headed back downstream, crawling on my hands and knees when I was close enough to cast. After a couple of casts, he nailed my Clouser and put on an aerial display that had me hooping and hollering! He was out of the water as much as he was in the water.

I'm loosing a LOT of Clousers because of the rocky bottom, and put in an emergency order for Tiemco 8089 hooks and lead eyes. I hope they get here tomorrow!!!!
Old 04-17-2012, 03:02 PM

Frank, when you fish the clousers, do you dead drift, strip, or both? I HATE casting the weighted flies, but I know in order to produce fish, you do what you hate sometimes...
Old 04-17-2012, 03:14 PM

aquaticsanonymous is on a distinguished road

Beautiful fish and report.

I'm so jealous of you guys. In Michigan, it is illegal for us to target bass until the last saturday in April. As is walleye, and pike. Some rivers around the Saginaw Bay area also have no artificial lures prohibitions.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:53 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I used Clousers with lead until I hit a rod tip. For the past several years, I've used Clousers with bead chain eyes, and they work well enough, and cast easier. This section has really deep channels, and the good fish are down deep. Weight is essential to get the big fish there. I dead drift, swing, and strip. All of those methods work equally well, but letting the Clouser get down 7-8 feet is usually the most important part of the game.

aquaticsanonymous,
PA is like the Wild West. We don't have a closed trout season in the southeast portion of the state, and they stock from October to April: Oct, Nov, Dec, March, and April. Bass are getting some protection because of larger size limits. They can be kept from June to October, but most people that I know don't keep them. Some residents complain that the state doesn't stock enough, but PA has a HUGE stocking program. The numbers are staggering!
Old 04-17-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticsanonymous View Post
Beautiful fish and report.

I'm so jealous of you guys. In Michigan, it is illegal for us to target bass until the last saturday in April. As is walleye, and pike. Some rivers around the Saginaw Bay area also have no artificial lures prohibitions.
When I lived in Toronto, we could not target bass before the last saturday in JUNE! I was so surprised when I moved back to Philly, that we could target, just not keep. The only restriction to fishing for trout are we can't fish trout stocked waters from the beginning of march until opening day.

I also fish for trout in LA without care for dates, because I don't harvest, and we are allowed to catch all year. I think with bass too, but have never bass fished in CA yet.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:04 PM

hillbilly rick is on a distinguished road

Whatta beauty,I guess I should try a little extra weight to my Clousers. I've not heard of this before, where do you crimp on a split shot? Above the knot or on the shank somewhere? I swore off split shots years ago after losing what could be the biggest I've ever hooked.
Can't keep black bass in rivers here until the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend, but this is when we get the biggest ones.
Gotta go, hockey games comin' on. GO BLUES
Old 04-20-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manotheskip View Post
When I lived in Toronto, we could not target bass before the last saturday in JUNE! I was so surprised when I moved back to Philly, that we could target, just not keep. The only restriction to fishing for trout are we can't fish trout stocked waters from the beginning of march until opening day.
That's the way it was last year, but the local stocked lake (Core Creek Park in Newtown) was open all year to fishing. I thought this was insane, since most people fish with bait there. How are you going to release a gut-hooked trout?!?!? Fortunately, I didn't see many people fishing there in March, probably because they didn't see the few notices that the PFBC posted in the park. Next year it'll be a different story.....

Rick,
I add the weight to the Clouser itself. I used to only tie Clousers with bead chain eyes instead of lead eyes (with a few exceptions). I just tied 50 lead dumbell eye Clousers, so I'm set for a while with getting down to the bottom.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:33 AM

hillbilly rick is on a distinguished road

Frank,
Thanks, I'd been using lead eye clousers last year(first year fly fishin'). I have yet to try tying my own flies, but I hope to soon.
The stream I fish is gin clear with rock bottom and when spin fishing, dull green seems to be the color of choice. I figure olive clousers should work. I did no good on smallies last year when fly fishing, water was up and I had to stand in armpit deep water to even hope to cast to the hidey holes. Got fed up and went back to spinning gear, my goal isn't relaxation, but catching fish.
When using weighted clousers, do you use floating line? A strike indicator? I use floating line and no indicator. It's a new season, I'll keep trying.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:26 PM

Hi Rick,
I use floating line, and an 8' 3X leader. The Clousers I tie have two weights:
1/40oz and 1/60oz. In deep moving water, the 1/40 is minimum, and can be swung so it goes deep (a little line mending helps slow down the swing). In 3-4 feet of moving water, I'm using 1/60oz Clousers. Both are tied on #10 Tiemco 8089 hooks. In slow and stillwater, I use Clousers tied with bead chain eyes. The bead chain adds a small bit of weight, and keeps the hook barb riding upright. They are also WAY easier to cast past 25-30 than a lead Clouser. For water as deep as you're talking about, get something really heavy and just chuck it. It's not pretty, but it works. An oval cast will help keep all that weight from crashing into your rod tip, but there are other ways of opening the loop.