The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 12:11 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Like fishing in a barrel....

Man! It is nice to feel a good tug (or several) on the line. I have been hooked up with a private pond (Hence the fishing in a barrel title-- it doesn't get fished very much-- so the fish aren't shy nor picky...)

Spent an hour and a half there last night-- resulting in 14 (respectable to nice sized) LM brought to hand, and several that were missed due to my lack of attention. (On more than one occasion, my desire to fire a long cast over shadowed my sensibility -- It is hard to get a good hookset on top water LMB with 50 or 60 feet of fly line out... ) Flies used were a yellow and black marabou monster (leech) and a top water slider.

Every fish was in this size range:

Click the image to open in full size.

While not exactly lunkers, they sure were fun.

ps-- For those who want to see the full quarry, I got quick pics of almost all of the bass I caught-- they are in my album dated with yesterday's date.

Also, I likely killed the first top water take-- he hit hard and took the slider deep-- the lot is heavily wooded-- some critter possibly got a good meal over night.

The water also holds a fantastic crappie population-- I've never caught a crappie smaller than 15 inches out of it- and the hybrid sunnies are about the same.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:19 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default Re: Like fishing in a barrel....

Sounds like a great way to spend an evening!
Old 04-08-2012, 12:28 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

It is a great way to spend an evening-- although it almost feels like cheating...

This place never gets fished-- the handful of times I have been there, the fish have kept me busy-- you can't cast more than three times without a nice fish on. It's ridiculous! But I won't complain It is a 20 min drive from my house, to boot.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:10 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

You gotta love those little gems of fishing spots.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:31 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

several years ago in Iowa I caught a 2.5ft pike out of a tiny farm pond... surprise the heck out of me.. I figured out later it was a tiny quarry pit. I hope to check out some small ponds soon also. I hope my results are similer
Mike
Old 04-08-2012, 11:35 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

ahhh,
great evening chasing bucketmouth
memorable.

casey

ARFE
Old 04-20-2012, 04:42 PM

hillbilly rick is on a distinguished road

I want a barrel like that
What fun, I'll trade a few of my grand kids for a place like that.