The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By swirlchaser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 06:53 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default A Day Late and a Few Fish Short

Hey, did you hear? The Shad were on fire all weekend! Caught 'em good on Monday... I couldn't take the Shad talk anymore so I took a drive up to the Delaware today. Of course the air temp was 10 degrees cooler today than it was all weekend, of course the water was very low, and course there wasn't a Shad to be found I did manage to find a few Smallies to keep me busy, a curious Black bear and it was nice to be back up on the river. I'm sure they'll kill 'em tomorrow
Click the image to open in full size.
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:37 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Day Late and a Few Fish Short

The schools come and go in waves. One day schools will travel through a favorite spot. The next day, there won't be any. Give it a few more days, another set of schools will travel through. This cycle will keep going on until the final wave pushes through.

Keep at it. You are bound to hook up again.

Dennis
Old 04-18-2012, 07:45 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
The schools come and go in waves. One day schools will travel through a favorite spot. The next day, there won't be any. Give it a few more days, another set of schools will travel through. This cycle will keep going on until the final wave pushes through.

Keep at it. You are bound to hook up again.

Dennis
The cycle is pretty predictable but once you factor in Murphy's Law and my usual luck I'm better off sticking to the saltwater, it's a much shorter drive
Old 04-18-2012, 11:18 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Marco
Could have been worse. You could have had the wind we've had nonstop for the past three weeks. Or worse yet Yogi could have joined you for a swim. At least you got a Smallie and didn't drive off the edge of River Road!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 04-19-2012, 12:26 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

If you're fishing gear from the last trip hadn't resurfaced, I bet the shad fishing would have been on FIRE! A couple smallies are better than a great big donut, I'd say Plus you get the bear and some time on a beautiful waterway, doesn't sound too bad, all things considered.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-19-2012, 03:16 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Ah yes run timing, timing is everything with the shad just like salmon. The only way I stay up with them is to be on the rivers every day from before they show until I can't find any more bright ones. Living here has rendered the advantage of being only minutes from the rivers. Back when I lived in Pennsylvania I had to travel for hundreds of miles to fish for salmon and like you and the shad, I sometimes missed the boat. You got some nice photographs and I can imagine the drive was pleasant this time of year so it was still good.....................right?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-19-2012, 08:39 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I'm in the same boat right now, hoping I time the tarpon run right this year, hoping they aren't gone by the time I get there!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-19-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Marco
Could have been worse. You could have had the wind we've had nonstop for the past three weeks. Or worse yet Yogi could have joined you for a swim. At least you got a Smallie and didn't drive off the edge of River Road!
Every time I drive that road and see a few sections of cable that are laid down pretty good. I wonder what poor soul went off the road and how far down he got!

It was still a great day and I may have found a new Smallie hole. On to the next adventure...
Old 04-19-2012, 12:33 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Seen more than my share of cars and trucks down the bottom of the road and then the roads closed for the day. Got to fish another spot.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser