The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 09:51 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default Carp on the fly

Well known carp on the fly blogger and occasional poster here, John Montana, graciously invited me to go out carping with him yesterday. John has been at it many years and i am sure some of you have seen his pics of huge, monster(30+lbs) carp he has caught on the fly.

So, yesterday him and i went to Sauvie Island, a wildlife refuge just out of Portland, and gave carping a shot. He of course caught the most, around 14 or so. I caught three, the largest being a tad over 10lbs.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

John caught a really nice one that was near 13lbs or so.

This is going to work out well for me. I live west of Portland and can just pop over the hill and be at Sauvie Island in 30 mins and get a quick fix.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:02 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Carp on the fly

I actually just finished reading that blog - it sounds like you guys had an awesome day out there.

I was curious how you guys managed to fish such heavy vegetation without constantly getting hung up.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:06 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

It was a lot of close in fishing. We were surrounded by hundreds of spawning carp.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Vans: Congrats on the great looking Carp. What size of rods were you guys using? I've yet to get out and chase Carp, but it is definitely on the list.

Larry
Old 04-23-2012, 12:20 PM

I was using a 7wt. A tad heavy for the size of the fish we were catching. John was using a 6wt. If we were consistently into 15lb+ fish i think the 7wt would have gotten a decent workout.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:40 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vans View Post
I was using a 7wt. A tad heavy for the size of the fish we were catching. John was using a 6wt. If we were consistently into 15lb+ fish i think the 7wt would have gotten a decent workout.
OK, thanks! I have a 7 wt, that should do the trick!

Larry
Old 04-23-2012, 02:25 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

Way cool. I love carp fishing. I have caught them by float fishing but not on the fly as yet. Your pics are getting me cranked up!
Old 04-23-2012, 03:33 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Welcome to the addicition...good luck trying to rid yourself of it.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 04-27-2012, 11:41 PM

adglife is on a distinguished road

Love it! John also did about what "big" means for carp. I am astounded, and can't wait to find one! I had to because of his pictures.

Last edited by Hardyreels; 04-28-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Removed re-direct links
Old 04-28-2012, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

adglife,

If you would like to add content to a thread you are welcome to do so but linking to off site blogs does not add content to our group.

Ard Stetts

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;