The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 04:28 PM

sonicimpulse is on a distinguished road
Default Sinking fly line for walleye, pike and bass

I go to MI. a lot in the summer fishing for Walleye, Pike and Bass. most of the time I have to get my hook down between 12-15 feet deep. I never tried to fly fish in the lake. We usually do a lot of drifting. I was thinking about getting some sinking fly line and taking the fly rod out.

Any tips on what to use and how to use it would be great. I never tried this before. It would be fun to catch some big walleye on the fly.

Thank you for any input on this.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:26 AM

Gar will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sinking fly line for walleye, pike and bass

I do not target walleye, but i fish for bass and pike in teh same depths in teh spring. I use a cortland full sink 300 grain line. I throw it on an 8 weight. I prefer the integrated head that attaches right to the running line, like a normal line. If you are a competant caster you will be able to throw it, but you need to throw a larger loop and slow down. The line is tiugh to keep off and lift form the water.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:45 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sinking fly line for walleye, pike and bass

A major drawback to a full sink line is the effort it takes to lift the line out of the water when your ready to cast again. If your only trying to drop 10-12' I would seriously consider a sink tip, or a weighted fly and a long leader. A full sink line means the running line will also sink, it's a pain to lift and the running line will sink while your trying to cast. This makes shooting line close to impossible unless your using a stripping basket or on a boat.