The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 10:41 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things Found on a River

During low water a couple of years ago someone started a camera graveyard

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:04 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe we should have a new thread: Things that shouldn't be found on a river!
jpbfly likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 04-24-2012, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great pics David....theboz,if we start a new thread I will have pics to post... recently found a fridge ,a cooker and an engine by the water
More and more people take a river or a rubbish dump
Old 04-24-2012, 12:35 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb View Post
Found this one time LOL

I figured it was stashed there after a robbery so never had the desire to touch it and see if any money was inside, didn't want my prints on it LOL

By the way, great pics!
Did you bother to call the police in case the robbers prints were still there?

By the way, that point you found there is a really nice one. Unbelievable condition. I'm not a real expert on Texas arrowheads but it looks like a carrolton to me.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:57 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Yes Grumpy, I did bother to call the police....

I gave exact details as to where it was, was only 20' off the edge of a road in downtown South Bend, Indiana...

Was told they would send a unit out to get it, so I hung out fishing within eye sight of it for 3 hours to ensure they could find it, nobody ever showed up, said to heck with it, came by about 4 hours after that, it was still there...

Last edited by kwb; 04-24-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:48 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice

Since my usual parts of the river are down stream of a major city (Austin), I could fill a camera card with junk, trash, plastic bottles and foam cups. The popular way to get rid of old used tires in the 60's and 70's was to throw them in the river. If I see old fishing line I make sure and collect it. I've seen firsthand what it can do to herons, egrets, ospreys, etc.
I usually choose to photograph the beauty.

Dan - thanks for the ID. I sent the photo to a local collector and he said it could be a Castroville or a Williams dart point. Looking at some examples a Carrolton is a distinct possibility too. It's Archaic era for sure.
Amazing to think it was knapped perhaps 2000 years ago and I found it in that condition.

Thanks everybody for the kind responses.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:57 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

David,nice Shots,it's not suprising what is found along Rivers,alsoI see you also have Thistles over there as well,we have many different types over here as well.
Brian
Old 04-24-2012, 11:08 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbilly View Post
Dan - thanks for the ID. I sent the photo to a local collector and he said it could be a Castroville or a Williams dart point. Looking at some examples a Carrolton is a distinct possibility too. It's Archaic era for sure.
Amazing to think it was knapped perhaps 2000 years ago and I found it in that condition.

Thanks everybody for the kind responses.
It's not barbed enough to be a Castroville. They are a typical corner notched point. It's not likely to be a Williams either. I missed one other possibilty though. It may be a zorra point. I think it's made of Georgetown flint. Looking at the shape it's in, I'd go back there and look hard. It's in such good shape I doubt it was ever used. I'd look and see if it was part of a cache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb View Post
Yes Grumpy, I did bother to call the police....

Thanks Dopey.
I found a photo of a Williams. Notice the real barbed look. Your point is more stemmed than corner notched.

Last edited by Guest1; 04-25-2012 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Add a Williams dart point.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:05 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

LOL, I have to admit, I liked that, see Dan, it is possible for us to get along
Old 04-25-2012, 08:46 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

David those are some great pics.