The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 09:17 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold
Default Not what I wanted, but fun nonetheless...

My goal was to catch rock bass, that's right I said rock bass. I have never caught one, but I hear stories that it is the fish that most people can't keep off their hooks. Naturally, that meant I would struggle. Got on the water around 6am, on a Saturday :evil: in hopes that I would beat the redneck crowds to this area. I get to the first spot and find a nice rope swing/ewok village.
Click the image to open in full size.

I started casting around the submerged structure, bud light cans, old flip flops, and some things I couldn't identify.

Pulled this little guy out pretty quick.

Nothing after that fish. The water is surprisingly cold. The fish are definitely not active. Regardless, I decide to head farther away from the redneck footprint.

I arrive here, to nice water...

Found a nice pool just downstream.

Saw a spotted gar cruising, but he wouldn't play. I kept casting hoping to at least annoy a fish into biting. I see a red flash and I'm hooked up....

I like red breasted sunfish, probably one of my favorite panfish, but I have caught so many in the last year that I wouldn't mind a break from them.

I head back upstream and come to a some shallower water in the sun. Maybe the fish will be more active in there?

Oh, you again..

Please, something other than a redbreasted sunfish hit my fly!

Oh, well, I asked for it.

I see a nice little eddy off to the side that had some foam on top and looked to be deeper than the surrounding water.

Hmmm....well at least I caught something....
I fished down maybe a mile, then made the trek back. Caught another redbreast. :roll:

Any of you amateur botanists know what these two plants are? They were everywhere...

It was a nice morning. I caught fish, can't complain. Maybe I will get into the rock bass when it warms up some. I did see a few mr. no shoulders which made wading through grassy areas a little unnerving. I seem to have bass kryptonite every time I fish creeks or rivers. Panfish however, love me.

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 04-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Not what I wanted, but fun nonetheless...

Another entertaining read with beautiful pictures! Rock bass seem to be a gregarious species, when you find them they are all together thus the can't keep them off your hook part. I got a particular charge outta the 'Ewok village' line

The flowering plants........... That first one sure looks like Mountain Laurel or since you're so far south think wild Rhododendron. The second one...... I'm thinking that is one of the variety of flowering Dogwood that we have in the southern states in a small tree or bush. I can't tell from the picture if it is a bush or not but if you were to tell someone it is 'Stiff Dogwood' they'll take your word and you'll be real close.

We have a flowering Dogwood here that grows only a couple inches in height and resembles the Eastern Dogwood in both foliage and flower, just a miniature version.

Great report,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-28-2012, 09:42 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Nice report, and great pics. No help on the plants, sorry. Thanks for sharing the experience!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-28-2012, 10:45 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Rock Bass.... Man, you bring back memories....

Had to be about 1963 or '64, my father, my grandfather, and I made a Memorial Day Weekend fishing trip to Wilberforce, Ontario, CA for a long weekend of fishing. They were fishing for lake trout, walleye and muskie, but me, being only about 7 at the time, didn't have the patience for that. So I got my OWN rowboat, and headed out after perch.

I kept getting into rock bass, which EVERYONE at the lodge considered to be a nuisance fish. That is, until the gardner at the lodge offered me a penny for every rock bass that I could bring back. It seemed that he was putting in his Spring plantings and gardens, and he would place one dead fish under the rootball of each plant, particularly under his greenhouse tomato's, as a fertilizer. I had a BLAST! I must have made almost $1.50 that weekend, which for a 7 year-old in 1964 was a small fortune!

Even after my Grandfather made sure that I set aside 10% for the tithe for church (he was a devout worshiper), I still has more than a dollar for the General Store!

Thank you for the bringing back the memories!!!!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 04-28-2012, 11:10 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

those are some monster pumkinseed sunfish, I get them in the creek I fish, I think they are some of the coolest looking fish where I fish, looks like a tropical fish. I also get rockbass, or goggleeye as some call them here in ky, lots of fight for the pound, and bright red eyes. keep at it youll find them, when you do its a blast.
Mike
Old 04-28-2012, 11:29 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

you should feel lucky, I would love to be able to fish for panfish in AZ creeks and streams but here they only live in the lakes and golf course ponds.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:50 PM

hal_sch has a spectacular aura abouthal_sch has a spectacular aura about

I wish I had a stream to fish in. All I have around here is ponds and a few lakes.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:50 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Wow great pics.! Pretty redbreasts ! Lovely stream. And great story well written! Who cares about Rock Bas when you have a stream like that . Oh and ny the way you'll do better with rock bass using nymphs, beadheads and wet flys then you will with poppers. Try it works fore especially when I dont
Want it to. Like when your trying to get shad and smallies and the rocks take over with a vengeance !
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 04-29-2012, 02:03 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

You will probably have to go underwater for them. I have never caught one up top.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:38 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Nice looking stretch of creek there, and some nice fish you caught!