The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 10:02 AM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice
Default Re: Mission - Catch first carp on the fly

Wow, what a day. Those carp sound like a blast.
Great report, enjoyed reading it.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:12 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough

I too am trying to catch a Carp on the fly. I have caught a ton of them in my younger days on spinning rods with dough balls. This is a ton harder.

I did hook into one last year while fishing for smallmouth. It took (took and kept) a crayfish pattern I was using. It must of been a big one as I never saw it. After 5 minutes of pulling with a 8wt I got it to about a rod length of where I was wading. At that point it decided enough of this foolishness and it shot across the river into a submerged tree where I finally had to break it off.

My fishing partner did catch one a couple of weeks ago while we were fishing for Steelhead. He was drifting a egg pattern thru a deep slow section of river. Had a slow take and set the hook. The fish didn't fight at all really, just wallowed around. It was like pulling in a log. I'd say it was in the 10lb range. It did little to convince my buddy that he should waste time fishing for Carp. I think it was the cold water (52 at the time).

I have seen Carp in the river last time out and started chasing them. I tried a small crayfish pattern no luck. And a Hex nymph and a smaller prince nymph. All with no luck. I have tied some other patterns and am ready to give it a go. Some of the issues where I fish its hard to see them as the river is up around 400cfm and visibility is about a foot right now. Also the current is stronger than usual. But I'll give it a try again Tomorrow even tho the weather is supposed to be cloudy and chance of showers.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:22 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

After that I think I may have to find me some good Carping grounds.
Great play-by-play report! Thanks for sharing.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 05-01-2012, 07:37 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
Great report and congrats on your first carpStill remember my first one in moving waters....had to run a hundred yards downstream
HA! That's awesome!! Thank you for the congrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbilly View Post
Wow, what a day. Those carp sound like a blast.
Great report, enjoyed reading it.
Thank you! They really are a great fighting fish - especially on the fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunker View Post
I too am trying to catch a Carp on the fly. I have caught a ton of them in my younger days on spinning rods with dough balls. This is a ton harder.

I did hook into one last year while fishing for smallmouth. It took (took and kept) a crayfish pattern I was using. It must of been a big one as I never saw it. After 5 minutes of pulling with a 8wt I got it to about a rod length of where I was wading. At that point it decided enough of this foolishness and it shot across the river into a submerged tree where I finally had to break it off.

My fishing partner did catch one a couple of weeks ago while we were fishing for Steelhead. He was drifting a egg pattern thru a deep slow section of river. Had a slow take and set the hook. The fish didn't fight at all really, just wallowed around. It was like pulling in a log. I'd say it was in the 10lb range. It did little to convince my buddy that he should waste time fishing for Carp. I think it was the cold water (52 at the time).

I have seen Carp in the river last time out and started chasing them. I tried a small crayfish pattern no luck. And a Hex nymph and a smaller prince nymph. All with no luck. I have tied some other patterns and am ready to give it a go. Some of the issues where I fish its hard to see them as the river is up around 400cfm and visibility is about a foot right now. Also the current is stronger than usual. But I'll give it a try again Tomorrow even tho the weather is supposed to be cloudy and chance of showers.
Dough balls, wheatie balls, and corn all used to be my favorite way to catch these things! This is much better

That sucks you lost that one. It's amazing how these fish manage to sneak away to cover and break your line. Some might say they do it on purpose! It makes sense that you got him on a crayfish pattern - if there are crayfish and carp, you can bet the farm that the crayfish is a top food source for the carp.

Rather than fishing the main river channels, find backwater areas where they are easier to spot and generally in bigger pods. It really increases the odds quite a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattech89 View Post
After that I think I may have to find me some good Carping grounds.
Great play-by-play report! Thanks for sharing.
Thank you - glad I could inspire you a bit! I can't wait to read the story of your first carp.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:48 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Went out today to chase some carp with the trusty olive/brown crayfish. Got 11 carp in 2.5 hours with the smallest coming in at 22" and the largest at about 30" (didn't have a tape or scale with me at the time of catching that tank so it's only an educated guess based on putting it next to my rod). Several of them were in the 10lb range, and a few of them were pushing 15. Such a fun fish to catch, I bet the 5wt Z Axis doesn't agree though. Pictures to come with the next outing.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:41 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Wow - great outing!

The 5wt definitely was put to the test! I think I am going to pick up a 6wt with carp and smallies in mind. The 8wt seemed like overkill unless I am in real heavy cover.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:16 PM

Got out again today after a bit of morning work. The carp were in full spawn and quite busy! It was hard to find any that weren't busy doing the hibidy dibidity but I managed two. The first one got off after about a minute. The second one came to hand after a short 5 minute fight.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:08 PM

redyote is on a distinguished road

I'm going to have to give this a try. Awesome write-up on a great outing.