The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By riverbilly
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By Davo
  • 1 Post By mrl0004
  • 1 Post By theboz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 10:19 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all
Default My Opening Day

The catch & release Bass season opened up here in Michigan this weekend. I have been jonesing for Smallie fishing since last December. So hit the water solo yesterday and was very nice to be back out ripping streamers for my favorite freshwater species...

Didn't get any monsters, but lots in the 12"-16" range "and a few even smaller than that" were willing to hit my Bad Hair Day...

Click the image to open in full size.

Little guy, but first Smallie of Twenty Twelve...

Always nice to see a watershed coming to life in the Spring...

If you look real closely, Sasquatch is standing on the river bank on the right of the photo here

My phone has this panorama photo setting that I just found while messing around the other day, took this photo using that...

That's about it, was just a relaxing day on the water by myself, was much needed...
Old 04-30-2012, 10:33 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Opening Day

Those 12-16" smallies can be real scrappers, which makes them so much fun to fly fish for. Now how luck is that, you captured a photo of Sasquatch is standing on the river bank!!!!
kwb likes this.

Larry
Old 04-30-2012, 10:37 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Those 12-16" smallies can be real scrappers, which makes them so much fun to fly fish for. Now how luck is that, you captured a photo of Sasquatch is standing on the river bank!!!!
Yeah, I just wish I would have noticed the Squatch when I took the photo, would have went on over for a better shot! LOL
Old 04-30-2012, 04:53 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice

Spring is in the air. Looks nice, and nice bass too.
Can you tell me more about that fly, bet my bass would like it too.
kwb likes this.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb View Post
Yeah, I just wish I would have noticed the Squatch when I took the photo, would have went on over for a better shot! LOL
We keep one out at the cabin if you need photos, nice report.

Ard
kwb likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-30-2012, 05:44 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Congrats on get out on the water and catching some!! Thanks for sharing the photos!
kwb likes this.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-30-2012, 07:33 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

I find it funny that your "small guys" are big to me. Maybe I need to fish somewhere else! Nice report!
kwb likes this.

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 05-01-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbilly View Post
Spring is in the air. Looks nice, and nice bass too.
Can you tell me more about that fly, bet my bass would like it too.
The fly is a pattern developed years and years ago by my Friend Dave Pinczkowski. He calls it a "Bad Hair Day". It has a lot of different variations, but the one in the photo is simply white craft fur tied in backwards and folded back, I did this twice starting on the back end of the shank of the hook, then wrapped a little lead on the shank ahead of that and then tied in another clump of white craft fur facing backwards and folded it back. I then tied in a few strands of polar flash. For the head I tied in a clump of minnow belly grey senyo dubbing like you would a wool head, flicked the hook hard so that it evened out around the shank to form a more rounded head and whip finished the thread.

They are cheap, easy and fast to tie. They have more movement than any other fly I have ever seen and they simply flutter perfectly, every little twitch of the line makes them literally swim...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
We keep one out at the cabin if you need photos, nice report.

Ard
I got to get up there and see this! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
Congrats on get out on the water and catching some!! Thanks for sharing the photos!
Thank you Davo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrl0004 View Post
I find it funny that your "small guys" are big to me. Maybe I need to fish somewhere else! Nice report!
I would say our average Smallies are in the 12" - 16" range, you do get a 20"+ here and there, especially in the Fall...
Old 05-01-2012, 11:37 AM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Wow! That is a great looking water! Those smallies are so much fun no matter what size. Love the fly to great baitfish profile. Thanks for a terrific bunch of pics.
kwb likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser