The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 11:34 AM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about
Default Freshwater Drummin'

I went out with my buddy yesterday to take advantage of the beautiful weather. We had a nice bit of rain that raised the river and got the fish moving. My buddy and I ended up catching 8-9 fish a piece in a couple of hours. We even managed to get a double-header. His fish on a Zebco, and mine on a fly. I was using a Clouser Craw and switched to a DDH Leech. I also managed to lose the biggest carp of my life. It nearly spooled me out completely. I was using my 8wt and I just couldn't turn him or slow him down. I had the drag maxed out and he just kept going. He managed to bend out a 3906B hook. I plan on going back out soon and getting my revenge on him.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:20 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice
Default Re: Freshwater Drummin'

That is very cool, a Drum. Must have been a great fight.

I've yet to catch one on the fly rod, but after many years of conventional fishing and catching quite a few good sized ones it is one of my favorite freshwater fish to catch. Powerful, long unyielding runs in the river current.

Good luck on the carp, and wish me luck on a drum soon.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:18 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a great day on the water, congrats! Good luck with the revenge on that Carp, sounds like a real brute!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:10 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

heh.... drum.... my only experience with drum was a friendly competition with a fishing buddy on nuclear power plant water.... the 'contest' was biggest bass--- I thought I had about a 10 pounder but it was actually a roughly 3 Lb. drum.....

The thing fought like a mad gorilla! I wasn't sure what I had hooked into until I got it on the boat. It took a leech pattern and really tested my 6 wt.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:37 AM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

Haha yep, those drum sure are a neat fish. Lots of folks here consider them trash, but I sure don't. They're awesome fish on the fly rod and put up an amazing fight. Plus, they got the whole numbers thing on their side. It's a great way to kill an afternoon. Crayfish and leech flies in size 8-10 work like magic here. They really do fool you as far as the fight goes. The one in the second picture had me convinced at first that I hooked into a nice-sized carp, and I was even using an 8wt.