The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By theboz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 11:16 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Today is my last chance

Well I've been here in North Carolina for 10 days. Great weather , nice people, beautiful lake and excellent fishing. Been working Lake Norman everyday and it's been a blast. Seen bald eagles and ospreys nailing fish all kinds of wildlife some insects and reptiles that ive never seen before. Caught Spotted Bass. Largemouth Bass ,Channel and Blue Catfish , Bluegills and Redbreast Sunfish , White Perch and White Bass. Even picked up a small Striper. But my quest for a Longnose Gar still eludes me. They are everywhere you go and yet getting them to hit or stay on the hook has been a monumental task . For my first 5 days of trying they wouldn't even glance at my flys. Big fish , some 4ft long! Then after all the no looks I started getting some follows on big saltwater streamers. Here I am throwing 5inch deceivers in a lake to a prehistoric fish and it follows right to the tip of the rod and nothing.
So Saturday night I started getting creative. I used catch Florida Gar on rope flys so I figured maybe that would solve my problem. Took one of my buddy's old nylon rachet straps shredded it into 5 inch strips tied it to a 2/0 circle hook. Looked pretty good. Casted like **** and when it got wet was like casting a wet dish rag !
But a funny thing happened , yesterday for the first time I started hooking Longnose Gar! Fourteen of them to be exact. Did I land any ? Of course not! Could not for the life of me get that hook to stick in that boney snout!
And I did come close to a landed one. Almost had him to the shore fly in his upper snout so he opens his mouth and his lower jaw gets stuck in the mud. Try to back him out fly pulls!
But today is the day that I land one! Finally figured out how to get the take now it's time for the picture. Just switched to a smaller hook I think that may do the trick. Wish me luck. I need it!
mcnerney, Rip Tide and jpbfly like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Today is my last chance

So....good luck!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:33 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

You shouldn't need a hook with the rope fly. That was the point I think. Regardless, good luck! Those are still on my list!

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 05-07-2012, 01:16 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

I realize that I don't need a hook with the rope fly but after losing 14 I'll take any and all the hookup help I can get! Haha!
Old 05-07-2012, 03:59 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

NOT catching one may be a good thing!

Incentive to return for another extended stay to try again!

Seriously, good luck, and I hope that you land one!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 05-07-2012, 10:15 PM

2 DAY SCORE: Longnose Gar 23 Me 0. Rick good call I'm coming back in August for unfinished business (gar). That's a good enough excuse. Caught a monster LM tonite didn't even get a smile out of me. I'm obsessed with these gar!
Old 05-08-2012, 04:08 PM

twobuckchuck is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you're having way too much fun!